Atheros Wifi Driver needed for Aspire 5100 running Win7 - 64

TheAncient
TheAncient Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could point me to a place where I can download a driver for an

Acer Aspire 5100 laptop which runs an Atheros 5005G network card under Windows 7 – 64bit.

I did not find any 64 bit drivers - or Windows 7 drivers for this machine on Acer's website.

I tried loading a driver (win7-v10.0.0.285-whql.zip) downloaded from an unofficial Czechoslovakian site

but this driver did not work.

I emailed Qualcomm (Atheros) at 'qca.info@qca.qualcomm.com' to ask where I could find support for this WiFi card

but I never received an answer from them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• TheAncient
    Answer ✓

Driver did not install properly (and thus showed a yellow exclamation mark and, of course, did not work)

I have since restored my machine to an earlier date: The latest backup with a working driver I had, was from May this year.

The driver used at that time (and still/again working fine) was version 8.0.0.238 dated 05/10/2009

Google will give several results if you search for "Atheros 8.0.0.238 Driver" (of course, since before I restored my machine I did not know which driver version would work, I could not look for it) Most of the top Google results state that the driver is for Win7 32/64 which is apparently quite difficult to find unless you know the "magic word" to search for.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Which kind of issue are you having with this drivers?

They need to be manually installed:

open Device manager, double click on Atheros WiFi and choose "install driver" or "update drivers", choose "browse my computer for driver software" and point to the folder where you unzipped the files, press ok to install.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • TheAncient
    Answer ✓

Driver did not install properly (and thus showed a yellow exclamation mark and, of course, did not work)

I have since restored my machine to an earlier date: The latest backup with a working driver I had, was from May this year.

The driver used at that time (and still/again working fine) was version 8.0.0.238 dated 05/10/2009

Google will give several results if you search for "Atheros 8.0.0.238 Driver" (of course, since before I restored my machine I did not know which driver version would work, I could not look for it) Most of the top Google results state that the driver is for Win7 32/64 which is apparently quite difficult to find unless you know the "magic word" to search for.

• TheAncient

In my original post I mentioned that I had asked Qualcomm where I could get support for the Atheros card.

Here, now (20 days later), is their reply:

"Thank you for your interest in products containing Qualcomm technology.

Qualcomm does not offer the WiFi drivers that you're inquiring about to end consumers.  Qualcomm sells IC’s to module manufacturers or other OEM’s and under contractual obligations cannot support your request.  For issues regarding configuration and usage of your product, as well as for updated drivers, please contact the OEM product manufacturer's technical support department.  We suggest you refer to the manufacturer’s website, as they typically offer online technical support pages where software drivers, updates, and other related information can be obtained. You need to contact the ODM of your equipment directly as we are unable to support our chips once the manufacture has modified them.

Qualcomm Atheros"

In other words: Don't bother us.

This discussion has been closed.