Aspire one zg8 0531h. USB error message that a usb device has stopped working

Sago
Sago Member Posts: 5 New User

I've had my netbook for a few years and this error message has been appearing bottom right since I got it. Both USB ports have always worked fine. Device manager it shows a USB controller as not recognised by Windows. f I try to 'update' it says wndows doesn't recognise it. I can disable it but of course it renistalls on reboot and the message starts again.

I ignored it as it didn't do any harm. Recently I did a factory reset expecting this to do the trick but it didn't. I also

updated the bios to v2034 I think but there's not much content to it so I've not got any USB options there.

I'm wondering if there are chipset drivers I need to get, though the Acer site doesn't offer anyting new there.

Does anyone know what may be causing this (non) problem and how to fix it?

Thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

you can check under Device manager if any exclamation mark is present, this means that a driver is missing for the device.

if Yellow exclamation mark is present
    double click on it
    choose "Details" tab
    from dropdown menu, select HardwareIDs
    click on the first value and copy/paste it here

Basically, windows uses it's own USB drivers but you can try to install Intel chipset drivers to update them.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Sago

Thanks. Yes I did check and what is there is not the usual problem. No yellow warnings (at first - see below).

The device is in the list of USB controllers, and is listed as "unknown device". Looking at properties-details repeats this - i.e. unknown device. If I try ot update the driver the message is the same.

The listing in IDs is USB/unknown. But it does say a driver is inatalled in one tab and that it's not in another. If I try to update the driver it says it's the latest one.

When I first looked in DD there was no yellow tirangle but as I checked the various tabs in properties it uninstalled and there is now a yellwo triangle.

There are lots ofo ther oprtions in detials but I don't know which are the ones to check

• Sago

It also says "Windows has stopped this device becasue it has reported problems (code 43)" I've googled this and get a windoes tech page with varous suggestions that I'll try this morning. Have I made it clear that no usb devices are connected to the netbook when this happens?

Thanks

• Sago

I ran the miscrosoft tests/fixes and it detected the issue but could not solve it. I double checked the 3 usbs and all work fine. I also found chipset drivers on the Acer site but these turn out to be ATI grpahics drivers. I installed them anyway but no difference.

Something called a virtual wifi miniport driver has a yellow triangle too - similarly it always has had this - and the Microsoft test found it but similarly couldn't fix it. The wifi works fine.

I've run this netbook mostly on Linux Easypeasy so I've not bothered about this issue before but mainly I'm curious to see if I can fix it.

See my other recnt post for a more serous issue with this netbook.

This discussion has been closed.