Aspire V5-571 - "Operating System Not Found"?

ryshevs9
ryshevs9 Member Posts: 9 New User

When I shut down my laptop and turn it back on, I get the error message in the top-left corner that says "Operating System Not Found".  I then hit the power button to turn off and then hit it again to turn on, and the laptop boots up just fine. Whats going on here?  Even if I select "restart" ... the error messge comes up when it tries to restart after shutting down.  

It works when I just turn it off after the message and turn it back on - but I am concerned.  The PC is only a month old and this just started happening a few days ago and seems to happen every time.

Thanks!!!

--Ryan

Best Answer

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Two quick notes here:

1: Resetting the BIOS to default settings is a very good idea, it sets the HDD to boot first and defaults all startup options to Factory setting as well.

2: Changing the settings to IDE from SATA mode is not recommended, nor do you require a supervisor password. Erasing Secure boot settings is also achievable by resetting BIOS to default settings. And changing boot mode to legacy is ONLY a good idea if you are going to install Windows 7, Vista or XP "or another OS altogether, such as Linux".

Realistically this problem is most often caused by the boot manager being corrupted or changed. To fix this in Windows 8 open the charms bar and click settings. Now click modify computer settings on the bottom of the menu that opened. Click on the General tab and scroll all the way to the bottom of the list to the right. Under advanced startup click "Restart Now".

The computer will load into the Advanced Startup screen. It should be a blue screen with white writing. Click on troubleshooting.

If you have data that you don't want to lose you should click on Refresh your PC. It will do just that and leave your files alone. It is however not as effective of a trick and the second option. If this doesn't work backup your data and try the Reset instead.

If you don't have files to lose or don't care if you lose them click on Reset. It will take a bit of time but will reinstall Windows and rewrite your boot file.

Hope this helps!

Answers

• ryshevs9

I am using an ASPIRE V5-571-6891 Model MS2361 running Windows 8 

• TorbenMOlsen
    TorbenMOlsen Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi

I have the same problem.

Do you have any solution for the problem?

/Torben

• ryshevs9

So it now appears that 2 of us have this same issue.  Are you using the same machine I am, TorbMOlson?

Any help on this folks?  My laptop is only 2 months old.

• suniljp
    suniljp Member Posts: 166 Troubleshooter

You get this error message when the BIOS look for the boot device and not accessible.

Reason: HDD not detected by BIOS.

You can check the version of the current BIOS and see if there is any latest BIOS update is available in acer website. If so update the BIOS to latest one (To access the BIOS restart keep on tapping F2 or in some models Fn + F2 on Acer Logo).

If the issue is not solved you need to contact support. The laptop should go in for service.

• jgault
    jgault Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same problem.  It just started last week and this is a new laptop this semester.  I can actually hit ctr-alt-del at the error message and it will reboot normally for me, or I can power off/on again like th OP, but ctr-alt-del is faster.  I wonder if it a problem with the v5-571? 

• Bethalbin
    Bethalbin Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am having the same problem but it can take me up to an hour or longer of turning the computer off and back on before it will come up right. Today I have been at it for 3 hours and its not coming up at all. Have any of you had any luck getting this solved?
  • ryshevs9

I was told to do this.... http://http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26280/~/using-acer-recovery-management-to-restore-windows-8

Using Acer Recovery Management to Restore Windows 8

I was told this during a chat with customer service... an online chat.  Try a chat yourself and let me know what you come up with.

• Bethalbin
    Bethalbin Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am having to send mine in to have it fixed. It woul not start at all.
  • artiso
    artiso Member Posts: 5 New User

I found a solution for my V5-431, maybe it works also for your machine.

Power up with F2 button pressed to enter the BIOS.

Set SATA mode to IDE

Enter a supervisor password and go to the section Secure Boot

This is marked: < Standard>

Erase al Secure Boot Setting. Yes

<Standard> will automaticly change in <Custom>

Change also Boot Mode into Legacy BIOS.

Exit BIOS saving your changes.

Now you can format your HDD and install for example Windows XP, but I guess any MS operating system (not Windows 8, therefor is Secure Boot needed), without any problem.

• gaegra
    gaegra Member Posts: 2 New User

Same problem two weeks after I bought  v5-571: "When I shut down my laptop and turn it back on, I get the error message in the top-left corner that says Operating System Not Found.  I then hit the power button to turn off and then hit it again to turn on, and the laptop boots up just fine." And I also was told to do this, during a chat with customer service: http://http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26280/~/using-acer-recovery-management-t...

I think there's surely a problem with the v5-571! But I don't want to use "Acer Recovery Management" to restore Windows 8 and loose all my installed software and a lot of my time (the same would happen if I send it in for service): isn't there a way  in this notebook to get its hard-disc and test its connection with the motherboard? Do you have any other solution for the problem?

ryshevs9 wrote:

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26280/~/using-acer-recovery-management-to-restore-windows-8

• grizzly
    grizzly Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello!

Same thing here: For about two or three weeks my V5-571PG started to display the "Operating system not found" message on startup. After pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete (or switching the machine off and on again), everything works fine.

Before I read your posts I had the impression, that the Hard-Drive does not start fast enough, and it needed a second wake-up-call. I thought, Windows 8 isn't using the BIOS anymore, maybe the booting precess is too fast now for some pieces of hardware. But it looks like our problems started around the same time...?

• Steve8166
    Steve8166 Member Posts: 2 New User

I bought the Acer platinum Silver Aspire V5-571 series yesterday. i went to power on but it went into automatic repair function which came up with. automatic repair could,nt repair and gave me 2 options, shut down or advanced, I have tried now for approx 10 hours but nothing works, It states NO OPERATION SYSTEM. I will be returning it to the shop first thing Monday and demanding money back.

I have noted that there is a vast ammount of similar complaints which I am sure ACER must be aware of by now, but seem to be taking no action.

• awsmed
    awsmed Member Posts: 3 New User

I have the same exact problem with my Acer V5-571P.  Seems like this is more than a coincidence that many V5 users are having the same problem about a month into our ownership.  Hopefully, we can get an answer for Acer soon.

~Ed

• gcsgupta
    gcsgupta Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter

Hi,

Did anyone try to reset the BIOS to the defaults and also check if the HDD is being detected in the BIOS?

Reset BIOS on Acer Laptops:

Use the following steps to reset your BIOS settings to default.

1. Completely shut down your computer.
    2. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press F2 for notebooks or Delete for desktops to enter the BIOS.
    3. Press F9 and then Enter to load the default configuration.
    4. Press F10 and then Enter to save and exit.

• ScottyC
    Answer ✓

Two quick notes here:

1: Resetting the BIOS to default settings is a very good idea, it sets the HDD to boot first and defaults all startup options to Factory setting as well.

2: Changing the settings to IDE from SATA mode is not recommended, nor do you require a supervisor password. Erasing Secure boot settings is also achievable by resetting BIOS to default settings. And changing boot mode to legacy is ONLY a good idea if you are going to install Windows 7, Vista or XP "or another OS altogether, such as Linux".

Realistically this problem is most often caused by the boot manager being corrupted or changed. To fix this in Windows 8 open the charms bar and click settings. Now click modify computer settings on the bottom of the menu that opened. Click on the General tab and scroll all the way to the bottom of the list to the right. Under advanced startup click "Restart Now".

The computer will load into the Advanced Startup screen. It should be a blue screen with white writing. Click on troubleshooting.

If you have data that you don't want to lose you should click on Refresh your PC. It will do just that and leave your files alone. It is however not as effective of a trick and the second option. If this doesn't work backup your data and try the Reset instead.

If you don't have files to lose or don't care if you lose them click on Reset. It will take a bit of time but will reinstall Windows and rewrite your boot file.

Hope this helps!

• ScottyC

Quick note, I've just remembered that I've seen this problem before. The V5 has a solid state hard drive which "being a newer technology" are still a bit buggy. Essentially the HDD has a dual index of it's contents and may go out of sync. To fix this you can go into the BIOS by hitting F2 while the computer turns on.

Now here's the hard part. You're going to need to let the computer SIT THERE on its own for 30 minutes in the BIOS screen. This will allow the indexes to sync together and will likely fix the issue. Usually this is a pretty effective fix. May not last forever but it does last quite a while.

• ryshevs9

ScottyC, I did this and it didn't work for me.  I shudown my PC and then restarted and immediately hit F2.  Normallly, I would get the error then but the setup screen came up and I let it sit for 30 minutes.  I then exited and it booted up.  I shut it down again and then restarted and the error message reappeared on the top left corner of my screen.  Did I do something wrong?  Pardon my ignorance.  

Was I supposed todo something other than let it sit for 30 minutes after I ht the F2 key?

Thanks in advance for your help.  It looks like plenty of us need it.  

• ryshevs9

gcsgupta wrote:

Hi,

Did anyone try to reset the BIOS to the defaults and also check if the HDD is being detected in the BIOS?

Reset BIOS on Acer Laptops:

Use the following steps to reset your BIOS settings to default.

1. Completely shut down your computer.
    2. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press F2 for notebooks or Delete for desktops to enter the BIOS.
    3. Press F9 and then Enter to load the default configuration.
    4. Press F10 and then Enter to save and exit.

I just tried this too and it didn't work for me.  

• ryshevs9

ScottyC wrote:

Hope this helps!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    THIS WORKED FOR ME!!!!  THANK YOU!  I REFRESHED MY PC AND DIDN'T LOSE ANY DATA.
This discussion has been closed.