Aspire V5 571 Operating System not found, can get to BIOS but dont know what to do

KC4153
KC4153 Member Posts: 3 New User

I get the Acer explore beyond limits splash screen. It stays on that for several minutes then the screen goes black and says that  Operating system not found.

I was able to get the BIOS screen by pushing F2 but didn't know what to do from there. Any assistance would be really appreciated.

thank you

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

on BIOS you can check if the HDD is listed as installed device.

what's your OS?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

As you are able to go to the BIOS page, it is recommended to first check if your system detects the hard drive. To do this, you can follow the steps below:
    1. Go to your BIOS page and then go to "Boot" in the menu bar.
    2. On the page that comes up, see if your hard drive is displayed as a booting option.
    3. If not, then highlight the first boot device and press Enter to see a list of boot devices. Check if the hard drive is displayed in this list.

If your hard drive is displayed in BIOS, you may need to reinstall your Windows. To do this, you can refer to the following webpage:
    Note: Select your Windows version appropriately from the drop-down menu on the following link before starting with the instructions.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows/install-upgrade-activate-help#install-upgrade-activate-help=windows-8&v1h=winrttab1&v2h=win8tab1&v3h=win7tab1&v4h=winvistatab1

If your hard drive is not displayed in BIOS, there may be some hardware issues with your system. In this case, it is recommended to contact your nearest Acer service center at the earliest. This link can be useful:
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

• KC4153

Thanks for reponding, I appreciate it.

The OS is 8.1

About the HDD, it lists

HDD 0: Hitachi HTS545050A7E380

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

ok, next step is to check on BIOS if it's available as BOOT device and check/move it as first boot device.

Check also if you have "security boot" enabled and UEFI enabled

if it's on the first place on BOOT list and you have still "operating system not found", you can have:

1) missing MBR

2) faulty HDD

if you have another PC with windows 8.1 with same version (x86 or x64), i suggest you to create a recovery USB media from that, then connect it to your V5, boot from the USB media and try a "automatic repair", it's under advanced options of recovery.

if this still no fix your issue, under advanced options, click on "command prompt", when command apperas type:

bootrec.exe /FixMbr
    bootrec.exe /FixBoot
    bootrec.exe /RebuildBCD

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • KC4153

Forgive the dumb question, but whats an MBR?

Thank you for taking the time

• cfc2000
    cfc2000 Member Posts: 1 New User

Quite a common issue if you look on google. This happened on my wife's computer (V5-531, W7 64 bit) after I used a 64 gb memory stick on it. I could get it to boot up using a bootable cd, but when the tray was empty i got this warning message, The easiest fix was to go to the Acer Global downloads page and download the appropriate BIOS update.  The computer had BIOS v1.18 on it and I updated to BIOS v1.22. If you have W8 the versions are 2.17 and 2.18 as at 30 September 2014.

http://br.acer.com/ac/pt/BR/content/drivers/4248;-;Aspire%20V5-471#_ga=1.108214082.1511916952.1412094920