Aspire V3-472P CPU minimum speed when plugged in

matthewharrison
matthewharrison Member Posts: 42 New User

Hi guys,

I have an Acer Aspire V3-472P which has an Intel Core i5-4210U & is running Windows 8.1. 

The issue I'm having is that when I plug in my AC adapter to charge the computer it underclocks my CPU & freezes the speed at 0.77GHz which makes ordinary tasks a pain due to the slugishness. As soon as I unplug it the speed will vary from aprroximately 1 - 2.6GHz and everything runs perfect again.

MY LAPTOP IS IN HIGH PERFORMANCE FOR BOTH AC & BATTERY POWER.

My BIOS was out of date, it was running 1.07, but I've since updated it to 1.21, which is the latest one in the Drivers section for my laptop, but unfortunately the update made no change to the performance issue.

I'm not really sure where to go from here so I'm hoping I can find some help on here.

EDIT 1: I've just been able to confirm that once my laptop reaches 30% or over I can unplug it, then plug it back in & it will run at normal speeds on AC Adapter. The low speeds only happen under 30% with AC adapter plugged in.

EDIT 2: Changed percentage values to proper values in "Edit 1". Upon further dignosis I found the exact values, making the original values incorrect.

Thanks!

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,049 Trailblazer

Hello,

Have you cleaned the DC-IN connector with a contact cleaner spray?

France
  • matthewharrison

No I have not.

• laurent_14

Personally I would do it.

France
  • matthewharrison

Alright, I'll try it out & see what happens.

• matthewharrison

Still no luck. I have noticed something else interesting though. It seems once it gets charged up to 50% or more I can unplug it & let it die down below 50% & the speed is fine when I plug it back in.

So what happened was my laptop was at the critical battery level, once I plugged it in the CPU speed was stuck at 0.77GHz (only while plugged in) until the battery reached 50% or more. Once the battery reaches this level I can unplug the AC adapter & plug it back in & the speed is normal again. For diagnostic purposes I decided to let the battery die down to below 50% to see if I could trigger the CPU to underclock, interestingly enough the speed is still fine until it gets down to 30% or below, once at this level it triggers the underclock again.

Hopefully this info can help with the issue.

• matthewharrison

Sorry, I should have looked into this more before posting. It seems its slowing down once I plug it in under 30% battery life (as I just stated), but it's fine again once over 30% if I unplug it & plug it back in. It will not speed up on it's own once the battery level gets over 30%, you have to manually unplug it & plug it back in everytime to get the speed to run normally again.

Anyways, it's not 50% as I had originally stated. So the magic number is 30% for whatever reason.

• matthewharrison

Bumping...really need help with this please!

• laurent_14

Hello Matthew,

Have you checked the output voltage (jack) of the AC adapter?

It should be about 19VDC.

France
  • matthewharrison
    Yeah, it's the correct output.
  • matthewharrison

Any more ideas?

• laurent_14

Hello,

I think you misunderstood what I wrote:

"Have you checked the output voltage (jack) of the AC adapter?"

It means with a tester.

France
  • matthewharrison

Yes...it is correct.

• laurent_14

Is your laptop still under warranty?

France
  • matthewharrison

I actually bought it second hand in a private deal, so I'm not sure & don't know if I'd be covered if it was under warranty.

• matthewharrison

Just checked into it, the computer is under warranty until 2016, but according to the warranty information on the Acer site I am not covered as I am not the original owner. 

"This limited warranty is valid only in the U.S. and Canada. This limited warranty extends only to You, the original purchaser, and is not transferable to anyone who subsequently purchases, leases, or otherwise obtains the Product from You."

So, sadly, I have no warranty.

• MrPalma
    MrPalma Member Posts: 6 New User

1 Go to "advanced batery options" on "edit energy plan"

2 click on the text with a shield

3 select current plan[active]

4 go to the 4th option from last to first "processor energy managemnt"

5 minimum performance

6 plugget in

7 chose a value

PS: my windows is not in english, so the words in " " might not be what i suppose the translation is

• matthewharrison

Yeah, I went through that already, my plan is set for best performance while plugged in. The plan is working fine above 30% battery while plugged in, but once it drops below 30% something is causing the computer to ignore the plan & making the CPU run at minimum with no fluctuation. I've checked everywhere for settings or something to configure, but I can't find anything that would correspond with the issue.

• matthewharrison
    Anyone from the Acer company on here with any ideas? I'm lost.
  • laurent_14

Hello Matthew,

You wrote: "I actually bought it second hand in a private deal".

Do you know the previous owner?

France
  • matthewharrison

I do have still have their email which is how I contacted them before, I may be able to contact them again using that. What would you suggest I do if I can come in contact with them?