Aspire One, battery not charging, bios update

loebbga
loebbga Member Posts: 5 New User

I have an Aspire One Netbook. The original battery lasted several years, then failed to charge. I replaced the original battery with an aftermarket extra capacity battery. After about 6 months, it too failed to charge. I received a warranty replacement battery that also will not charge. My power supply will run the netbook without the battery and is able to charge the battery in another Acer Notebook. The battery company advises me to update my bios. Is this likely to solve my problem?

Answers

• freeza
    freeza Member Posts: 1,316 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Good day

Yes, especially if your acer is a AOA110 or AOA150

Regards,

Freeza

• loebbga

Thanks for your response. It is in fact an AOA150 and I've never updated the bios. I was just a bit nervous with the big warning on the ACER support signt about the dangers of updating the bios. I'll give it a try.

Best Regards

Greg

• loebbga

Freeza,

I found a bios update that was more recent than the one installed. I downloaded and installed it. Now it will not boot. When I try to start in safemode I only get as far as:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\DRIVERS\agpCPQ.sys

This is 15-20 steps into the boot process, then it powers down.

Is there anything i can do with this now, or have I created and expensive doorstop?

Regards

• Bravo696
    Bravo696 Member Posts: 5 New User

I could not get both the old and brand new batteries to charge.

BIOS upgrades did not work, either the DOS method or the boot up method (Using a flash drive). 

Finally, I found the newest update software down load, came with an Executable file (xxx.exe)

Flashing with the in Windows method finally worked.

Alternately, Ebay sells external battery chargers for around $170.00 (More of less).

If you purchase an external battery you need to be precise about which unit the battery fits in

and the exact type of battery you want to charge.

This discussion has been closed.