Aspire M5-581T - No USB 3.0

jdubyak
jdubyak Member Posts: 30 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I have an Aspire  M5-581T and all USB devices that I plug into any USB ports comes up with the mesage that "The USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi Speed 2.0 port".  When I check Device Manager it is showing a whole list of USB Device Drivers  (See Below).  Do I just delete all but the USB 3.0 Device Drivers??

USB Driver Files.JPG

Best Answer

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Form the image you have posted I see that the USB devices does not yellow exclamation point icons next to them under the Universal Serial Bus controllers category, this shows that the drivers are installed correctly.

This error message is normal when a USB 2.0 device is plugged into a USB controller operating at USB 1.x specifications. A USB 2.0 host controller is required in order to operate any such USB 2.0 device at its normal speed. This message will not prevent the USB device from working. If the computer supports USB 2.0 and the message still exist with the device connected directly to a USB 2.0 port, remove and reinstall  the USB controller.

If the computer supports USB 2.0, ensure the device is connected directly to the USB 2.0 port. If a device is connected through a hub that does not support USB 2.0, the device will run at the slower speed.

Please  ensure your device can actually perform faster. For example, if you dig an old, USB 1.1 flash drive out of a closet and plug it into a USB 2.0 port, Windows will show you this warning message. This message doesn’t necessarily indicate that the device itself can perform faster, only that the USB port itself is operating at a lower speed than it supports.
    This problem can also occur if you’re plugging a USB 2.0 device into a USB 3.0 port. USB is backwards compatible, but speed is sacrificed when using an outdated port or device.

It’s also possible that your computer isn’t routing enough power to its USB port There are actually two types of USB hubs – hubs that only draw power from your computer and hubs that include a separate power connector. Only hubs that include external power connectors can provide enough power to support power-demanding USB devices. This also applies to other devices that function as hubs, such as monitors with included USB ports – connect your USB device directly to your computer or a powered USB hub.

You have the option to disable this warning.
    To do so, open the Device Manager (type Device Manager into the Start menu and press Enter), right-click the USB host controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and select Properties. Uncheck the Tell me if my device can perform faster check box on the Advanced tab.

Click the Kudos to say “Thanks” for helping!
  • jdubyak
    jdubyak Member Posts: 30 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Thank you very much for the explanation.

The USB port on the laptop is a USB 3.0 port and I have a powered USB 3.0  four port hub plugged into the port.  I tried what you suggested and removed the hub and plugged the device directly into the USB port.  It works fine with no errors and it runs much faster.  Do you think the USB hub is defective?

• sathya0403
    sathya0403 ACE Posts: 586 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,

I See the Answer in your Own Question Smiley Happy