Aspire Ethos 5951G-6879 Memory Upgrade Issue

ctinca
ctinca Member Posts: 4 New User

I am tring to update from 4GB to 16GB, using the 4 available slots.  When inserting a pair in the 2nd bank (under keyboard), the PC dies... lights go on but the screen stays off.  The other banks work well (they register the 8GB pair).

Memory modules are the G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBSQ.

Any ideas?  Solutions?

The max mmry on this unit is 16GB.

Thanks

Chris

Best Answer

• freeza
    freeza Member Posts: 1,316 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Good day

Thank you for proving more information. yes thats true. The 2 memory slots become active if you are running either Intel i7 2620M or i7 2630QM CPU and thus will your 16Gig be active. Even if you run 2x8gig, only 8gig will be recognised because the bios will only read up to 16gig if recognises one of the mentioned  i7 CPU.

Regards,

Freeza

Answers

• freeza

Good day

1. Update the bios

2. Have you swopped memory around. Does the ram that came with the machine work on those slots?

3. Have you tried to use different brand ram modules. I knows Acer use Kinngston, Hynix, samsung.

Regards,

Freeza

• ctinca

To answer your questions:

1. I have the latest BIOS verison (1.13)

2. Yes, I tried all options - the module that came with the machine DOES NOT work on the 2 other slots

3. No, I've only tried Hynix and G.SKILL modules (and a combination of the 2)

But here is a surprise from the ACER web site - I have the i5 CPU - and apparently only the bottom slots are recognizable by the machine.... Does this mean that: (1) I CAN NOT upgrade to 16GB, Or, (2) I will now equire a pair of 8GBs (2x8GB)?

~~~~~~~~  Your help is greatly appreciated ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here;s the text from the Acer website FAQ.  Note the last sentence.

Frequently Asked Questions

Show Part Numbers

Q: AS5951G may not recognize all 4 memory slots

A: Models affected
    AS5951G

The AS5951G main board may not recognize memory installed in all 4 slots. Systems with the i7 CPU will recognize memory in all 4 slots. Systems with the i5 CPU will only recognize memory in the two slots on the bottom of the main board.

• freeza
    Answer ✓

Good day

Thank you for proving more information. yes thats true. The 2 memory slots become active if you are running either Intel i7 2620M or i7 2630QM CPU and thus will your 16Gig be active. Even if you run 2x8gig, only 8gig will be recognised because the bios will only read up to 16gig if recognises one of the mentioned  i7 CPU.

Regards,

Freeza

• ctinca

OK, thanks.

I guess ACER had incorrectly stated the specs of this machine.  I purchased this unit with the hope that I can extend the mmry to 16GB.... and now this is not possible.

This unit is still advertised with these charcteristics on every other site.  Not to mention that it is supposed to have the bluetooth unit as well, which doesn't exist in my machine.

However, as usual, Amazon takes the hit for this one. 

Buyer beware.  Make sure you check all advertised specs of your newly purchased ACER fast or else... you may regret it later.

This discussion has been closed.