Aspire E1-571 not booting to Recovery USB

Laightown
Laightown Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives
Have error message saying laptop needs recovery. Went into BIOS and selected USB HDD to boot to. But as soon as I insert USB, machine goes into loop just showing Acer logo, black screen. Have looked at USB stick (purchased from retailer) and there are files on it. I have tried booting to USB FDD and USB CD ROM, but they don't work either. What am I missing? Help please.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

if you need to re-install your OS:

if your laptop has still the Acer erecovery partition, you can simply boot pressing ALT+F10 and follow on-screen instructions.

if you don't have this partition and want to use your USB recovery to re-install your OS, you need to wipe completly your HDD first and then boot from the USB.

you can boot from USB flash drive just pressing F12 and selecting the USB flash drive as bootable device, instead of changing boot priority on BIOS.

If your issue is different, please post more details.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

if you need to re-install your OS:

if your laptop has still the Acer erecovery partition, you can simply boot pressing ALT+F10 and follow on-screen instructions.

if you don't have this partition and want to use your USB recovery to re-install your OS, you need to wipe completly your HDD first and then boot from the USB.

you can boot from USB flash drive just pressing F12 and selecting the USB flash drive as bootable device, instead of changing boot priority on BIOS.

If your issue is different, please post more details.

• Laightown
    Laightown Member Posts: 2 New User

THANK YOU! I wasn't aware I had such a partition. Retailer never mentioned it, but sold me a recovery key, which I wasted hours on trying to use.  I reset the Boot Order, followed your suggestion and was given access to several options. One of these was to use a Restore Point. So I have now restored my laptop back to before the problems began. Don't seem to have lost a thing. Am going to do a throrough back up now and investigate the Refresh option. Think that all of this mucking about might call for a "fresh" start.

Once again, many thanks.

• IronFly

You welcome! Smiley Happy

• ADB54
    ADB54 Member Posts: 6 New User

Good Morning I have a similar situation on my ESI-511. I recently purchased a recovery USB as my partition was inaccessible. I have tried everything imagineable and the computer will not boot the recovery stick. I also get an Acer splash screen and then a blank screen. I have tried F2, Alt F10, F12  - I'm out of options - any suggestions?Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated!