Aspire 5610Z - Windows 7 can't find my network

eartahhj
eartahhj Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi everyone,

My Acer Aspire 5610Z was using Windows Vista as Operating System, recently I changed it because I had different problems, and I installed both Windows XP and Windows 7. Everything was ok, but I have this problem that Windows 7 can't find my wireless network. Windows XP finds it correctly and I can normally use Internet with it, and this is the less weird part. The most weird part in fact is that Windows 7 can't find ONLY MY wireless network. I mean, it finds all the other ones! I can see my neighbours' wireless network, my friends' ones, but not mine.

I tried different things, like checking the drivers, but if it can find other networks, I dont think this is the problem. So, I tried changing settings in the router (like the channel, I read to try this while surfing some sites), so I changed the channel to 01 and I only obtained a better signal when using XP, but still no solution with 7.

I tried creating the network manually, with SSID and so on, but nothing to do...

Of course I tried going near the router, still nothing.

My only thought is that maybe the router doesn't work good if using W7? But I don't really think this is the problem...

My network card is the Atheros AR5007EG, the router is the Sitecom WL-127 (v001)

The only thing I would try is to update the router firmware but it's not that easy to find because i found only the v002 one, and I use the 001.

Anyway this is one of the weirdest things I have seen so far, I mean it works correctly with XP so it can't be a network card problem.

So, you could think that maybe W7 is not compatible... But this can't be because it sees the other networks...

So as I said I can only think about the router, but I am not so sure... I am just guessing...

of course /ipconfig, /arp -a, and so on, can't help because I can't even connect to the router.

The only I could maybe try is to connect it directly to the router using a LAN cable to see if it works.

I have no other ideas

I wanted to know from you if you guys can help me or know something more about this.

Thank you very much

Regards

Christian

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Christian, when you changed your operating system, you deleted your drivers and are now using generic drivers.  Make sure that your mchine is set to automatically install the latest drivers and Windows updates. You can also go to IObit.com and install their free driver upgrader.

However, another likely cause is security. Your router might be rejecting your machine because it is not meeting the security protocols. You can try going to the router's site and downloading drivers from there.

• eartahhj
    eartahhj Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

Thank you but I don't really think that's the problem for 2 reasons

First of all, when you format or install an OS you delete the drivers but you also install new ones so I dont really think it is like you are saying. Moreover I installed all the drivers I could find both for XP and 7 so... And as I said, WIndows 7 can find all the others networks so it means the component is working.. It just can't find my network only...

I tried with the router's software but couldn't find the right one.

I have the Sitecom WL-127 v001 and in the official site page there is only the firmware used for version v0002, not v0001...

I also tried to ask Sitecom support but they didn't reply me so far

I will try to look better into but i dunno what else i could do

Any other advice?

This discussion has been closed.