Aspire 5560G cannot shutdown or reboot

popegonzo
popegonzo Member Posts: 2 New User

I have an Aspire 5560G, and in order to buy some more time for the otherwise workable parts, I purchased a SSD. I ran a fresh Windows 8.1 install on it and went to bed. In the morning, it was stuck on a blue screen with the mouse cursor (not BSOD), and nothing was responding, so I held the power button and shut it down. Upon starting back up, it resumed the install, finding hardware, automatically assigning drivers, etc., but then when it was going to reboot, it just hung on a black screen, but the power button and far-left indicator lights were still on, as was the fan. Another hard shutdown and restart, and Windows came up just fine. I took care of the last few drivers, went to reboot, and it did the same thing.

The long, long, LOOOOONG story short is this: my Aspire 5560G no longer is able to shut down. I must hold the power button to force it to power down. It's caused all sorts of problems with the Windows bootloader to the point that I wiped it and put Xubuntu on it, and it still needs the forced power down. I've tried both BIOS versions on the Acer site, but has anyone else seen anything like this before? Thanks!

Answers

• Goedhals
    Goedhals Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi popegonzo,

I know it's been awhile since you posted your problem (and maybe you already solved it) but anway. I've had the same problem with the same laptop and solved it.

The problem is poor UEFI implementation of Phoenix Secure Tiano BIOS in combination with GPT-partitioning. What you have to do is remove all partitions (INCLUDING BOOT PARTITION!) which were created by your clean Win 8.1 install. After that F2 into BIOS and set it to Default Settings, Save and Exit. Reboot and only then do a new install but this time FORCING the use of MBR instead GPT. Et voila, you're done.

Hope that it helps you and others with the same problem.

Nick

• popegonzo
    popegonzo Member Posts: 2 New User

Oh man, that's one step farther than I ever went (I flashed the bios, wiped everything BUT the boot partition). I ended up replacing the laptop to be functional in grad school, but after the semester ends, I'm going to try to resuscitate that bad boy. Thanks so much!