Acer windows 8 uninstall Question (legal/key stuff)

Dougv
Dougv Member Posts: 6 New User

Ok so, I know there is some legal issues some times with this and was hoping to get this question answered either by Acer or if someone knows off hand about it. Acer has the OEM for windows 8 OS, which comes pre-installed for this notebook was wondering, with Windows 10 around the corner and them stating free upgrades for 1 year using current windows 7-8 Keys.

I'm wondering if I uninstall windows 8 on this laptop if it would be able to reinstate it at a later date on this laptop or another? That is IF i remove the product key (un-register it from the PC its self) (IE: slmrg /upk productkeyhere & slmrg /ipk productkeyhere on the new pc.) Is that even possible, Legal etc?

signed,
Curious.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Installing Windows 10 will probably wipe the drive.

If you still have the Recovery and want to be able to use it later and have a working, Activated Windows, I would make the recovery CDs/USB drive. Then you can wipe the drive and restore evertything later.

Or ger another HDD and clone your whole HDD to it and store it or the original.

FYI, I don't believe the product key you find with a product key finder is the correct key on a system with recovery.

• Dougv

You can run the windows script to return all product key info.
    slmgr /dlv
    try that in cmd

• DKstallion
    DKstallion Member Posts: 14 New User
    Okay so legaly if your laptop/pc/tablet dies your windows dies with it , 1 licence = 1 pc/laptop/tablet , as for windows 10 it will be free for a year you can upgrade from windows 8/8.1 to win 10 , then after that period you pay for it , as for your backup up and system restore or acers D2D mode if you leave the HHD in tackt without touching the patitions you can recovery your computer to its orginal state windows 8/8.1
  • Dougv

I decided really not to care much about windows stuff wiped my HDD, slapped encryption and linux already on it. Thx for the responses anyway.