Acer System Information software accessing wrong serial number

colin_thames
colin_thames Member Posts: 12 New User

I've got an Aspire V5-471P.  I've installed a hard disk created on another identical machine, after the old hard disk failed.  

How do I get Acer's SystemInformation.exe to display the serial number from the BIOS rather than what I assume must be from its own data file?  There seems to be no option to refresh its data or edit where it comes from (Data file? Registry?) I've tried deleting and reinstalling it but it stil shows the wrong serial number and SNID.

Acer's Identity Card software and also SIW shows the right serial and SNID numbers, agreeing with the sticker on the underside of the laptop, but AcerSystemInformation.exe still shows the other laptop's details.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Check this file:

C : \ O E M \ R e f D a t a . t m p

(it's an hidden folder)

open with notepad

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

colin_thames,

I assume that the systeminformation.exe file is displaying the serial number from the system you created the image from? The only way around this would be to use recovery media on the system that you have the HDD installed on. This way it should reflect the correct information.

• colin_thames

Thanks Ryan

Indeed, yes, that is exactly what is happening.  The systeminformation.exe is somehow picking up the serial number of the other computer.

Presumably if I use the recovery media I will have to start over and install my software and files again, or is there another way of recovering without erasing software?

Alternatively, is there another way to edit the file that systeminformation.exe is accessing or reinstall it?  As I think I mentioned, the IdentityCard software correctly picks up the serial number from the Bios.

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

colin_thames,

Unfortunately I don't know of another way to change or alter that file without creating the image with the system you intend for it to be used on.

• Edited

• IronFly

Philetus, that's not what we are talking, please edit that link, it's no allowed to post such links.

Colin,

if you run msinfo32.exe on your system, the serial number is the correct or wrong one?

• colin_thames

Hi IronFly

I've run MSInfo32 on both laptops but can't see a serial number displayed on either of them.  Where does it come up?

Colin

• IronFly

Just curious.

i'm thinking where systeminformation can found that SN, since is not matching the BIOS and real SN.

Probably there's a file with that infos, but can be everywhere and i don't have an acer laptop to check on my own.

• IronFly
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓

Check this file:

C : \ O E M \ R e f D a t a . t m p

(it's an hidden folder)

open with notepad

• colin_thames

You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman!

This worked perfectly.  I had even tried uninstalling the exe with all related files using evo Uninstaller and when I reinstalled it somehow the old data was still in it.

But editing the R e f D a t a . t m p file worked perfectly.

Many, many thanks

Colin

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.