Acer E5-571 Graphics Issue?

RegTheDonk
RegTheDonk Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi all hope someone can help?

Recently purchased an Acer E5-571 i5 laptop, which has Intel integrated graphics - the HD 4000.

I've installed Call of Duty United Offensive but I get a black screen when I try to run it, followed by a message saying

"buffer overrun detected"

Its an old game and runs well on another laptop, a Lenovo Z570 running Windows 7 with an integrated Intel chip (the 3000).  I would have assumed the Acer would also have no problems being higher spec, but it seems this isn't the case. 

Googling the problem and I see that graphics drivers have been an issue with ATI cards, but nothing to suggest the integrated Intel has a problem.  Indeed, a more recent version of COD (Modern Warfare 2) seems to be on Intel's list of games that work with no issues with this particular setup.

Does anyone have an suggestions of what I might do to crack this problem?  I have the latest Acer drivers, and have tried running the game in various compatibility modes (Win 7, XP etc) with the same result.  Am a bit reluctant to try and mess around too much with it as I've got until Christmas to retrun it under the 30 day replacement agreement.

TIA Smiley Happy

Reg

Best Answer

• RegTheDonk
    Answer ✓

OK finally got it sorted, seems to be a driver issue Smiley Very Happy

Had to use DIsplay Driver Uninstaller 13.5.3.0 downloaded from Sofpedia.  Ran this and opted to clear out all display drivers and install a stock Intel driver.

After a re-start, the graphics were then coming up in Device Manager as a stock Microsoft display card - I was then able to update the drivers by downloading and installing an OLDER windows 7 driver from the Acer support site "VGA_Intel_10.18.1.3383_W7x64_A"

Had a bit of a game manually installing the drivers ... had to use the Zip file and force it to accept it, but seems this has fixed the Buffer Underrun problem on the old Call of Duty games.

Phil - thanks very much for taking to time to look into this and offer some suggestions Smiley Happy

Answers

• RegTheDonk

Hi Philetus,

Thanks for that, tried it but still the same problem.  I think that may be a fix for ATI cards, rather than the Intel HD.  But cheers for having a look anyway Smiley Happy

Perhaps I need to try downgrading the drivers to an earlier version?

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Try searching with the hardware ID.http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Hardware-ID

• RegTheDonk

Thanks Smiley Happy

It comes up with showing yes, it's a HD Intel device.  Lots of other info and its running the lastest Acer drivers (3496).  I see on the Acer support page you can also download a Nvidia VGA driver (9.18.13.3235) which is surprising - I didn't think there was an Nvidia chip in this laptop?

• philetus
    It looks like the E5-571gs have Nvidia.
  • RegTheDonk
    Answer ✓

OK finally got it sorted, seems to be a driver issue Smiley Very Happy

Had to use DIsplay Driver Uninstaller 13.5.3.0 downloaded from Sofpedia.  Ran this and opted to clear out all display drivers and install a stock Intel driver.

After a re-start, the graphics were then coming up in Device Manager as a stock Microsoft display card - I was then able to update the drivers by downloading and installing an OLDER windows 7 driver from the Acer support site "VGA_Intel_10.18.1.3383_W7x64_A"

Had a bit of a game manually installing the drivers ... had to use the Zip file and force it to accept it, but seems this has fixed the Buffer Underrun problem on the old Call of Duty games.

Phil - thanks very much for taking to time to look into this and offer some suggestions Smiley Happy

• philetus

You're welcome.Glad you got it fixed.