Acer Aspire V3 771G won't turn on after replacing keyboard

jdmaw
jdmaw Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

The keyboard on my Aspire V3 771G was having issues so I decided to replace it.  I ordered the part, found a video on YouTube with step by step instructions, I installed the keyboard, put everything back together again, and now the computer won't turn on.

When I press the power button the blue light comes on for just a couple of seconds, I hear what sounds like a drive start up (I think it's the CD drive) but it stops immediately and the blue light turns off and that's it.  Nothing on screen, no other lights or sound.  I took the computer apart again to make sure I reconnected everything, but I get the same result.

The only internal connections I had to remove to replace the keyboard are the touchpad, power button, speakers, and keyboard, so I'm not sure how any of those could result in the computer not working.

Any ideas?

Answers

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

In this case, you can try performing power reset and check if that resolves the issue. To know how to perform power reset, you can follow the steps mentioned on the link below:
    http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13677/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDMwMTEyMTQzL3NpZC9nTFNBOFVrbQ%3D%3D

Hope this will help you.

• jdmaw
    jdmaw Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Thanks for the suggestion, I already tried that but with no success.

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer

There are a number of possibilities:

1. Damage due to not taking ESD countermeasures.
    2. Damage to Flat Flex Cables (FFC).
    3. Incorrect FFC connections.
    4. Faulty replacement keyboard.

You may need to refit your original keyboard to determine if the replacement is at fault.

Flex cables are very fragile and can be easily broken. It can be difficult to see fractures (which often occur at the connection point - see picture below). Inspect these as best you can and satisfy yourself that all is well.

Also check all case screws are fitted and correctly tightened.

FFC Fractures.jpg