Acer Aspire V3 551G. New laptop keeps freezing.

BigGranty95
BigGranty95 Member Posts: 3 New User
Hello all.
I have literally just received my Acer Aspire V3 551G model laptop (about 4 hours ago.) Being my usual self, I have already had it booted up, set up and installing program's I usually use.

It runs Windows 8, has an AMD A10 processor and AMD Radeon Graphics. (I bought it for moderate amounts of gaming and general Internet usage.)

I set it up with all my details etc and the first program I intend to install is Google Chrome which I have never imagined causing any problems since its a worldwide/commonly used browser.
Once this had completed, I started installing Steam (the gaming program engine thingy)

All was well, these two program's were installed successfully and opened up with no problems. So i thought 'okay ill start downloading my games' first was Sid Meirs Civilization V. This started downloading an I decided to also check my twitter/ Facebook account on Google chrome. About 10 minutes into my browsing session, the screen froze. Mouse wouldn't move, windows button couldn't take me back to start screen, Ctrl+Alt+Del wouldn't work, so after waiting 30 mins on something happening I resorted to holding down the power button. I restarted and continued the Steam game download and preceded to check twitter and Facebook again (oblivious to the fact that multitasking might have caused the freeze) and froze again after about 5 minutes.
It has frozen 4 times in total and I thought, what the hell, let's just factory reset, I had nothing to lose. It's currently resetting and will update with the outcome.

If anyone knows if this has been a problem with this laptop or how I could find error reports etc. (I'm not much of a computer boffin, I know how to use it but not fix etc) it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance to any responses. Smiley Happy

Best Answer

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

I checked some reviews, and that's a nice rig you have.

May I give a little practical advice? With any new computer, slow down on the downloads until you've seen that everything is working okay. Do one download at a time for a while so if something goes wrong, you'll know what it is.

Possibly, your problem is playing a high-intensity game on a laptop while doing a download, and it was just too much.

I don't know what OS you were using before, but your game might have problems with Windows 8.

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

I checked some reviews, and that's a nice rig you have.

May I give a little practical advice? With any new computer, slow down on the downloads until you've seen that everything is working okay. Do one download at a time for a while so if something goes wrong, you'll know what it is.

Possibly, your problem is playing a high-intensity game on a laptop while doing a download, and it was just too much.

I don't know what OS you were using before, but your game might have problems with Windows 8.

• BigGranty95
    BigGranty95 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thanks bro. Picked it up for a bargain. $560~ it worked out to be after tax an postage. A right bargain. Ill lie low on the downloads as you say. Ill maybe do one more every 2 or 3 days I suppose.

Just to clear up, I didn't actually have any games running, I was just viewing low intensity web pages while downloading, but I suppose that's still since its relatively new.

I was running an Acer Aspire 5733 with Windows 7 (don't know the rest of the specs, got given as a birthday present)

Ill do a bit of research and see if its possible to run with windows 8 thanks mate. Much appreciated for the help. And I must say I have already noticed a massive increase in speed moving from an intel i3 to an AMD A10. Massive increase I have noticed.

Much appreciated. Smiley Happy
  • Ramming
    Ramming Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi. I have the exact same issue with the exact same model. I'm running Win8 with a A10-4600m with HD7660G/7670M Dual Graphics.  My problem occurs often, and I'm not using it for gaming or anything like that. Usually I strip down the computer for any unneeded programs or other things that usually take up space or memory. However it has not solved my problems and the glitch/freeze keeps happening even though I'm just checking emails or using Google Chrome. I bought this laptop for study use and it didn't bother me before, but after this semester I'm writing my bachelor's thesis and I've noticed the issue a lot while using MS Office. So now it really bothers me a lot. And my APU fan is running a lot, so a friend of mine, which the way is a computer engineer,  suggested that the problem might be voltage issues involving APU. But I don't know what's the problem, but it's really annoying

Best regards Chris Ramming.

This discussion has been closed.