Acer Aspire 7750G Power Issue

sobotka82
sobotka82 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi there

I have a recurring issue with my Apire 7750G - while the laptop is on and the charger is connected, the battery charges for about 5 minutes and then both the power light and battery light start flashing and the charging stops. If i disconnect the charger and plug it back in, the battery begins charging again but stops again within 30 seconds, with the same problem.

I just want to know what the cause of this issue is, as its very frustrating indeed. The laptop will charge fine while powered off. From fully charged, I can use the laptop for approx 1 hour on battery power so I dont think its a problem with the battery. Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Thankyou.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hard to tell from afar. Could be an untightened screw, a grounding strap or foil touching a board trace, a misaligned or not fully seated connector,  --- any number of possibilities. If it were mine, I'd pop off the back cover and closely check in the area around the power jack, tighten board screws, re-seat all the accessible connectors like the CPU fan --- some systems sense fan connectivity problems and power down even if the temp isn't high enough to trigger active cooling. Use your good judgment and common sense in looking for things inside that don't look quite right.

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

Have you taken any covers off to service the machine, particularly the backside? Only one hour on a full charge suggests a current leak assuming the battery's OK.  

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sobotka82

Hi Jack

Yes, I had a service done on it recently. It was overheating so I got the CPU done with fresh thermal paste and the fan cleaned, which required it to be disassembled. What could be causing the power leak?

Cheers

S

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Hard to tell from afar. Could be an untightened screw, a grounding strap or foil touching a board trace, a misaligned or not fully seated connector,  --- any number of possibilities. If it were mine, I'd pop off the back cover and closely check in the area around the power jack, tighten board screws, re-seat all the accessible connectors like the CPU fan --- some systems sense fan connectivity problems and power down even if the temp isn't high enough to trigger active cooling. Use your good judgment and common sense in looking for things inside that don't look quite right.

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• sobotka82

I'll do as you suggested tomorrow. Many thanks for your replies, they're much appreciated Smiley Happy

• sobotka82

Just an update on this - I took the machine apart, reseated a few connectors around the power supply and this seems to have solved the issue. Thanks for being so helpful and knowledgeable. Cheers again Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.