Acer Aspire 7745g 2nd hard disk parts

DraganRaicici
DraganRaicici Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi.

I bought an Acer Aspire 7745g but never got the 2nd Hard Disk parts.

I bought an SSD and would like to hook it up to my laptop.

What do I have to do to receive these parts?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer

You might try to call crucial.com at 800-336-8915 to see if they have the connector and adapter plate for the SSD in the 2nd HDD bay. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-7745g-%28quad-core%29 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DraganRaicici

Tinkerer

Hi JackE.

There's a slight problem.

I don't live in the US. I currently live in Denmark. Don't you have these parts in-house somewhere?

I read on some forum that you were providing these parts yourself if the customer wants to mount a second hdd.

I already know what kind of parts I need. Could you can have a look at your inventory,or something?

Thanks 

• DraganRaicici

Tinkerer

Hi JackE,

I was hoping yoy would point me into the direction ti a caddy. I actually bought one, but cannot install it. My Bios is locked(missing the advanced mode/tab) and the laptop does not boot when a hdd is connected to the cd/dvd rom slot. I would be more than happy to supply any information, including the steps I took in trying to connect the 2nd hdd via a caddy.

Should I write a more descriptive note on my attempts?

Thank you

Best regards
  • JackE

>>>My Bios is locked>>>

When you first got the machine?

To force boot from the caddy SSD, you could temporarily disconnect the HDD till we understand why the bios is locked.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DraganRaicici

Tinkerer

I bought the machine some time in June or July 2011.

I meant by locked, that I can enter it, but I'm missing the 'Advanced' tab.

If I insert my HDD or SDD into the caddy and leave the normal hdd slot empty, the Laptop does not boot,it just freezes with a black screen. Both SSD and HDD have OSs.

I have 2 IDE slots: IDE0 and IDE1. 

When hdd is in it's normal place,I can see the name of it in bios,both in the Information tab and in the boot priority list.

If I insert either SSD or HDD into caddy, in the information tab, I no longer see the name of the cd/rom,but the name of whichever disk I inserted. 

I tried on a friend's Acer,and for him, the ATAPI name (in the Information tab in bios) changed to 'None' and he was able to boot and use the hdd with the caddy.

• JackE

Will it boot from a bootable USB?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DraganRaicici

Tinkerer

No....not unless the cd/dvd rom slot is free, or has the actual cd/dvd rom plugged into it. 

• JackE

Have you tried updating the bios?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DraganRaicici

Tinkerer

Yes,I have.I downloaded the update from your website, I have the Phoenix Bios v1.15, before even attempting this whole thing.

And the caddy is not faulty,neither is the SSD or HDD I am trying to mount,I was able to boot from both via the normal slot.

The caddy,as I said in a previous reply, was tested on a friend's Acer and worked wonderfully.

• JackE

So this means you cannot change the bios boot order with the HDD in the normal slot?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DraganRaicici

Tinkerer

I can change the boot order......but it's to no use. The laptop simply freezes to a black screen,after the post screen, if there's a hdd or ssd connected via the caddy in the cd/dvd slot, always.

• JackE

Did original installation or recovery discs come with your machine?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DraganRaicici

Tinkerer

I just have a hidden partition where my Windows and some Acer recovery lies. That is it. No cds or anything else.

• JackE

Do you see any driver errors or warning messages in Device Mgr when the HDD is in the normal slot?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DraganRaicici

Tinkerer

No....there's nothing wrong with either hard disks.

• JackE

While I assume you found no other Device Mgr  errors, Win7 still doesn't seem to be properly detecting the signals it's getting from the MB drives controller. That is, you might still have a corrupted Win7 drives controller driver even though it shows nothing wrong in Device Mgr. Have you tried to erecover your system while saving your data to bring it back to near factory-fresh as possible?

Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• DraganRaicici

Tinkerer

The Win7 version I am using is the one that came with this unit.I did not install a fake or a copy.since I bought it with the unit.

I do not understand, how my hdd, in it's normal place,could be a problem with connecting a ssd via the caddy in the cd/dvd rom slot.

This is to eliminate your assumption :-)

hdd

• JackE

Sorry. I was not referring to either your HDD, DVD drive or the SSD. I was specifically referring to possible corruption of the motherboard's drives controller, in your system the driver for the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller. While this controller driver shows no errors in Device Mgr, for some reason this controller doesn't detect that a bootable media is inserted in the drive caddy or the HDD1 slot even when the DVD or HDD1 is first in the boot priority order. Something is not right with this behavior.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• DraganRaicici

Tinkerer

Ohh...I understand.....it could be.

Can you check and see if maybe this is a design flaw,if maybe my type of Acer was built that way,to perceive anything connected to the DVD port as an external device and not a bootable one?

Or, do you know if is there something I can do to fix it,or some sort of workaround?

What about those 2nd HDD parts, do you think you could get ahold of them for me,it might be a simpler solution.