Acer Aspire 5253 Acting Sluuggish

Chris_C
Chris_C Member Posts: 24 New User
I'm trying to fix a friend's Acer Aspire 5253. It came with Win 7, which was corrupted, so I installed Win 8.1. It was working for a while then refused to boot up so I reinstalled Win 8.1. It was working ok but now is acting sluuggish, taking excessive time to respond to keyboard commands. When I go online to a news article it freezes up when I try to scroll down the page. Windows says Internet Explorer is not responding. When I try to restore the web page the same thing happens. This has happened on two successive days. I found out after installing Win 8.1 that Acer does not support Win 8.1 for this laptop. It does support Win 8, however, & I've been told that Win 8.1 should work. I found from scanning with HD Tune recently that the hard drive has 40 bad sectors, 41 according to the most recent scan today. Does it sound like I should forget about Win 8.1 and reinstall Win 7, purchase a new hard drive, or is there another solution? The antivirus software is updated and a complete system scan shows no malware. All the Windows updates have been downloaded & installed. I tried to update all the drivers but in each case was told the best driver was already installed.

Best Answer

Answers

This discussion has been closed.