5750Z Black Screen

goldy669
goldy669 Member Posts: 12 New User

Hi All

I have a 5750Z aspire labtop that has a black screen. The external monitor works fine. This is the weird part. If I press the F4,F5 or the F6 and hold it the screen works. But as soon as I let it go no screen.

I think the keyboard might be bad but technical will not help much. Onfortunatly the usit is 14 months old and out of warranty.

Please help

Best Answer

• goldy669
    Answer ✓

I wanted to thank everyone for helping me with my issue on this Acer unit, it turns out I had a loose plug on the Motherboard. Reseated the plug and applied electrical tape to keep it from happening again.

All is good.

Thanks a bunch Smiley Happy

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Goldy, the fact that an external monitor works shows that your hard drive has not failed (That's the most common cause of your problem). The fact that the screen works fine when you're holding down certain buttons shows that the problem is not with your laptop monitor or its monitor cable.

You seem to have a software problem. A virus might have arrived, done its damage, and then been deleted, but I would upgrade your AV program and then run a deep scan. But it's more likely that the problem is in your BIOS. You can try to re-install your original operating system or you can take it to a repair shop. As a long shot, you can try System Restore.

• goldy669

Thank you so much. I kind of thought that at first untill the buttons showed the screen. but that does make sense. I think my daughter said it was working when she went to bed but then when she woke up the black screen appeared.

I will update when I try your suggestions.

• goldy669

I was able to restore this unit back to factory settings, still black unless I hold the F5 key down and then it turns white, the external monitor works for a couple of seconds when you plug it in then also goes black. I am still thinking I have defective F4,F5 or F6 keys on the keyboard?

Any thoughts?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,453 Trailblazer

While pressing and holding the FN key, try pressing the F5 key. This combo should toggle all the screens on and/or off.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• goldy669

Tried that but it did not work. Why would the external screen only work when I pluf it in for a second or when I turn it off then on. The screen will work for a second.

• JackE

What happens when you keep holding the FN key down while pressing or toggling the F5 key repeatedly?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• goldy669

The screen on the Laptop turns white but I have to keep messing with the F5 key for that to happen. This is why I keep thinking it is the Keyboard.

• JackE

OK. Do you have any display or screen at all to see what you are doing? Or are they all black screen? In other words, can you even see to open the Windows control panel? If you can, search for the word  'display' in the upper right hand corner of the control panel screen. Click on the 'change display settings' option on the left hand side of the screen. Click on the 'detect' button. Then click on the boxes below labeled 'display', 'resolution', 'multiple monitors', etc. What do you see, if anything?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• goldy669

The only way I can see the screen is to hold one of the F keys down. I have already tried your suggestion. Did not work

• JackE

OK again. If you hold or tape the F5 or F6 key down to see a screen, can you navigate the mouse around and operate the  other keyboard keys so you can open and see the windows control panel? If you can, then follow my previous post on the control panel display settings and report back on what you see. If you can't, my only suggestion at that point would be to borrow a USB keyboard to check out your keyboard theory.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• goldy669

As soon as I try to go to display settings from an external monitor windows locks up like it is thinking. and this is on a complete restore.

• goldy669

Like I had said the weird part is if I hold down really hard the F5 and F6 key. I have installed a new keyboard because I had a missing key anyways and that did not help. Very confused. I will post what happens after another system restore.

• JackE

Is the new keyboard an exact replacement for this laptop? If so, it's possible that the keyboard cables are not being fully seated and secured into the motherboard keyboard receptacle. This can often result in weird and/or unexpected system behavior and responses to keystroke input. Make sure the cable is secure and doesn't slip out of the receptacle too readily.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• goldy669

The keyboard is seated correctly, I am starting to think there is a loose connection, when I press on the case around the keyboard the screen lights up but not picture. Still if I hold the F5 key I get a picture. If I press the enter key the screen lights up but no picture.

I am trying to avoid taken the entire laptop apart because of all the ribbon cables, and the chance of making it worse.

• JackE

I know what you mean about the problems with those ribbon cables and trying to get all those plastic pieces separated from the plastic catches. The worst part to remove & re-install on my laptop was in fact the keyboard due to the ribbon cable connection and the plastic catches securing the keyboard. I had the keyboard off and on so many times trying to get the keys to respond correctly that I finally decided to cover the plastic catches with black plastic electrician tape so the keyboard couldn't snap into place --- a real chore to un-snap for fear of breaking something. I now use the same plastic tape to keep the keyboard in place --- hardly noticeable as it's the same color as the laptop plastic.

Since you mentioned that pressure applied to certain areas of the keyboard and case have an affect on your screen, I suggest that you're gonna have to bite the bullet and access and check out the seating of the other ribbon and cable connections again. I think the other ribbon connections can be accessed by removing the keyboard (I know, a pain). Unfortunately, the video & cam cable is more of a pain and can only be accessed by removing the screen and plastic covering the motherboard --- make sure your hard drive is secure when taking all this stuff apart --- again I usually use the electrician tape to keep critical components like this in place. Good luck.

Jack E/NJ      

Jack E/NJ

• goldy669

Thank you for all of your input I will update once all this has been done, not looking forward to it lol.

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Goldy, it doesn't sound like your keyboard, but have you tried plugging in an external keyboard to see if that works?

• goldy669

The keyboard works fine, my problem is only an external monitor works unless I hold down the F5 key really hard and even on a system restore Windows locks up when I try to go to video settings.

• goldy669
    Answer ✓

I wanted to thank everyone for helping me with my issue on this Acer unit, it turns out I had a loose plug on the Motherboard. Reseated the plug and applied electrical tape to keep it from happening again.

All is good.

Thanks a bunch Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.