External Battery V5-122P

2»

Answers

• blackorb
    blackorb Member Posts: 10 New User

This picture is definitely not the battery for the V5-122P http://www.rakuten.com/prod/battery-for-acer-aspire-v5-122p-0643-v5-122p-0857-v5-122p-0863-v5-122p/252633386.html?listingId=295733622

That doesn't necessarily mean they're selling the wrong battery, but I have trouble thinking it is the correct one due to the price difference.

• DouglasThurman
    DouglasThurman Member Posts: 2 New User

http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/pd/ThemeID.35703000/productID.289201600

This battery is now available for purchase.  I originally thought it was going to be more of a "slice" type but as it is it raises the back up just enough to be more comfortable typing.

What I can't figure out is why Windows doesn't show it charging.  It shows that the laptop is plugged in but the secondary battery doesn't show as charging.  Acer cannot give me an explanation, with their "Chat" technician telling me that the battery was not from Acer (even with an Acer part number) and that therefore it was not compatible with my laptop.

Anyone?

• blackorb
    blackorb Member Posts: 10 New User

I have used this battery (purchased through Acer Store in the United States) and have seen a couple things as far as status.

One observation is that the computer will only charge one battery at a time. If you click on the power system icon in the system tray while the external battery is plugged in, it will say something akin to:

Battery #1: 92% available (plugged in, not charging)
    Battery #2: 44% available (plugged in, charging)

In this case, the external battery, Battery #2, is charging and the internal battery is not.

These will flip at some point with #2 not charging and #1 charging.

I had a chat session with an Acer rep (there are absolutely no instructions for battery care, maintenance, status, etc with the battery or online) and was told that while the external battery is plugged in, it will be used first and charged second. I am not sure I have observed this. The above example, straight from my computer as I type, suggests otherwise.

It is possible you have a bad battery. I had one for about seven months and it stopped working properly. It would be plugged in for hours and never show that it was charged or charging and the computer would shut off when its internal battery dropped to 5% or whatever the threshold is. I had to get a replacement.

As far as the battery not being from Acer, I can only imagine the technician was confused. In interacting with Acer, they often seem clueless about the V5-122P and its internal battery and optional external battery. They really have to dig deep in their literature to find any information about the computer.

The packing slip for the battery says its a Sanyo battery. The battery itself says is manufactured by Darfon. I suppose these could through someone off the trail and make them clueless to what you are talking about.

• DouglasThurman
    DouglasThurman Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the response!  I'm charging it overnight as we speak, hoping that the switch to charge the secondary battery happens.  The switch to run the laptop off of it happened when I put the laptop into full blast power destroying mode.  Smiley Happy  Both batteries discharged fully and for a little while the power meter showed BOTH batteries available and charging.  Once the secondary battery got to about 37%, only the first battery said charging.  I will update as the morning arrives and I check the levels.