XR382CQK USB ports

jakesno
jakesno Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Currently I am using the DisplayPort to my 1080 Strix GPU. However I've tried to power my Razor mousepad and that failed.  I've also tried to plug in several flash drives to access their content and all have failed.  What am I missing?

Answers

• Walter_S
    Walter_S Member Posts: 2 New User

+1 I have a 1080 TI with the same issue. I was on with Acer support for a couple of hours and they didn't have an answer. 

I "may" have just seen something in the manual. It reads, 

DP ALT Mode: Default set USB 3.0 function OFF. Turn on USB 3.0 function, Using higher speed for data transport, display port only occupy on two lanes.
    On: Using 2 lanes for USB 3.0 high speed data and 2 lanes for DisplayPort signal.
    DP ALT maximum display resolution is QHD (3440x1440-30Hz).
    Off: Using full lanes to transport DisplayPort signal.
    DP ALT maximum display resolution is 4K (3440x1440-75Hz)

So I hated the idea of a refresh rate of 30Hz, but since I'm using DP, just like you, I switched the input to DP ALT just to see if the USB hub would start working. And there was no input. If I set it to auto find source and switched to DP ALT, the monitor would search and go back to DP IN. 

I'm not sure what to do. I haven't tried switching to HDMI (I like the native 75Hz and didn't want to drop to 60Hz, but it's a lot better than 30Hz). I have a USB 3.1 input on my new build, but am unsure how that work-around would affect performance of the GPU. 

• jakesno

Tinkerer

Hey Walter,

Man, I'm envious of your 1080 Ti, but massively happy for you!

So a couple things on those ports.  If you use google images to search for the XR382CQK you'll notice on the back of the panel, along side the 4 USB 3.0 ports is an additional USB type B port (square).  Mine doesn't have that and I assume yours doesn't either.  I also assume that during the last faze of manufacturing the XR38 they decided to power those ports with a different method as all of these monitors to date are version 1.0 of this release.

Instead they've opted the required use of the type C USB cable.  It's the tiny cable about 3 feet long that plugs into the monitor and then to the I/O panel of the motherboard on the back of the computer case.  I toggled to DP-in on the XR38.

I have the NVidia Control Panel on my desktop, and when I click it open I can now see the 3840 x 1600 (native) option inside the resolution box whereas I didn't have that option before.  If I click on it to choose that resolution the refresh rate dropdown option reveals the 75Hz option.  I'll probably keep the 2560 x 1080 resolution at 60Hz for browsing etc (larger font, icons, web pages) and then go to the 3840 x 1600 75Hz while gaming.

Couple of notes:

Because I was a bit impatient to eliminate every option, it's possible that one or a couple of things made a difference besides the USB type C cable.

1. I updated my MOBO BIOS.  By definition your BIOS decides what hardware and it's features will be detected. Admittingly I'm a noob but my thinking was if I'm using the USB type C DP miniport on my motherboard it could positively effect the features of the monitor.  My Maximus HERO IX board's BIOS shipped with an ancient v0505 installed.  I searched online and found a stable version for my HERO board v0801.  There was/is an even newer release however some users had reported issues.

2. I may or may not have had the newest ACER driver installed, although I think I did.  I was using a friends laptop during the intererim a couple weeks back and I left my notes on his machine. UGH! and sorry.  I'm also not positive if I toggled anything different in the BIOS although I think I left most settings alone.

One other thing I know for sure, it took a couple of restarts before I noticed the changes in Nvidia Control Panel and when I logged on it did not boot into the native resolution, however as I said, I did have the option to go to the higher refresh rate within NVidia Control Panel.

While the BIOS ended up being simple to update, many people will advise you to proceed with caution.  If you haven't ever updated a MOBO's firmware make sure to consult the MOBO's Mfg. website.  I did mine via a flashdrive and over Wifi and it was finished in less than 3 minutes. I used my Wifi because I didn't have the ethernet option at the time.

Hopefully this helps, If you have more questions I'll try and respond ASAP! 

• jakesno

Tinkerer

I read my post again and it may (probably) confusing.  TheyUSB Type C cable was the key to solving both of my issues.  The resolution and the functionality of the 4 USB C 3.0 ports.  I couldn't access data on those ports via flash drives and I couldn't charge devices with them.  Like I said, it could have just been the use of that incredibly short Type C cable or a combination of updating my BIOS as well.

• Walter_S
    Walter_S Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for your response. Just so that I'm clear - you have the USB 3.1 Type C cable connected from the monitor to your mobo and also have a DP cable connected to your video card. The USB cable is allowing you to use the 4 USB 3.0 ports on the back of the monitor as a hub and your video card is driving the monitor. Did I get all of that correct?

• jakesno

Tinkerer

Yes.  I just checked it again, and that's exactly my setup.  I have the "DP In" from the monitor plugged into the far left port of my strix card. Not that the far left port is crucial but just wanted to be as accurate as possible.  And the USB 3.1 Type C cable to the mobo.

A couple of restarts and toggling the nVidia control panel and I was able to get Native 3840 x 1600 and 75Hz.

• steveng
    steveng Member Posts: 1 New User

I can confirm that the 4 USB ports on the back only seem to work when a USB-C cable is connected.  I can see why this would be for data exchange but the ports should be able to charge devices when no USB-C cable is connected.  That just seems really stupid to me that they can only charge when the cable is connected.

Also, it can charge an iPhone but not an iPad.

Acer - please explain why charging is only enabled when a USB-C cable is connected?

• dk2463
    dk2463 Member Posts: 6 New User

So in my case, I also have a DP cable from the monitor to my PC AND a USB-C cable from the monitor to the PC. I get 75Hz at native resolution, HOWEVER, my USB ports only run at 2.0 speed. From what I've read, DP carries USB but only at 2.0 speed and the monitor pretty much ignores the USB-C cable.

Because of that, I have a new entry in Device Manager called Universal Serial Bus with a Billboard device.

The USB ports work, just slowly.

And have you all noticed that depending what you read, the XR382CQK either comes with USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 ports, it varies.

I also am trying to find the actual driver for the hub on the monitor but the VID/PID combo only reports back Renesas/RealTek. Anyone know the specific controller?

• dk2463
    dk2463 Member Posts: 6 New User
    So should I take it that we are alone in here in regards to any Acer support people? I'm pretty upset that I spent $1000 on a monitor and these guys won't even tell us the actual  USB hub manufacturer....why is that?