XF270HU Overdrive and firmware bugs

hymccord
hymccord Member Posts: 4 New User

I've got a few things I need addressed.

The XF270HU uses the same panel as the XB270HU, the AUO-M270DAN02.3. The G-Sync equivalent monitor has only a displayport.

So why can't the XF270HU use Overdrive while connected via DP. It can use it for HDMI but I don't use HDMI for FreeSync.

Firmware bugs:

1) The B gain number indicator doesn't update. It just takes whatever value is in the G gain. It DOES adjust the actual color just not the indicator. See http://i.imgur.com/I3J3x6h.jpg

2) Settings that are saved into the Game Mode 1,2,3 slots are not saved when the monitor sleeps/turns off.

Best Answer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

erbury1983,

Sorry if I was not clear. Overdrive is 'tuned' with Freesync enabled on the Displayport. This is the reason Overdrive is not configurable in the OSD. It's already working.

Freesync does not work through HDMI, therefore Overdrive can be enabled/disabled with HDMI.

Cory

Answers

• hymccord

Just an update. I have submitted a bug report to AMD.

Overdrive works over displayport WITHOUT any AMD drivers installed (I tried the last Catalyst and latest Crimson drivers). It also works when when in the bios. Can anyone see if it is enabled on Linux?

• Cory-Acer

Hi hymccord,

Sorry for the late reply, but to confirm, I asked and was informed that Overdrive is enabled as part of the Freesync this monitor, therefore it does not have the option to enable/disable on the Display Port.

Thanks,
    Cory

• erbury1983
    erbury1983 Member Posts: 2 New User

Same here. It is a big problem for me. You cannot use overdrive while using displayport. Do you know if exists a firmware update? I was happy with my new monitor, but it is a really bad point for Acer.

• Cory-Acer
    Answer ✓

erbury1983,

Sorry if I was not clear. Overdrive is 'tuned' with Freesync enabled on the Displayport. This is the reason Overdrive is not configurable in the OSD. It's already working.

Freesync does not work through HDMI, therefore Overdrive can be enabled/disabled with HDMI.

Cory

• hymccord

Thank you!

This is very helpful and will provide valuable information to all people who are looking for answers via google!

I have 0 problems with my monitor and thoroughly enjoy it

• Astrix_au
    Astrix_au Member Posts: 27 Troubleshooter
    edited August 2018
    Cory it does not work, many people have tested it, have you guys even tested it. I have the XF270HU Abmiidprzx (frameless version 2018) which has freesync on HDMI 2.0 and DP and both overdrive is not working. I have to disable it on HDMI to use the monitor without horrible ghosting. It's stutters and judders as freesync is disabled.
    Turning freesync off in Radeon settings does nothing, you can use CRU.exe but I found a better way. Just turn the monitor off hold the power button and the mode button then release the power button when the desktop appears then let go of the mode button and then press the mode button again. This will bring up the monitors firmware version and will dissable freesync. Then just press the button next to to the mode button to hide the info box and then you can change the overdrive and put it on extreme or normal and you will see instantly the ghosting is majorly decreased, overdrive doesn't work with freesync.

Doing this method to dissable freesync on displayport does nothing and you have ti use HDMI, I use HDMI2.0.

It's the same bug that affected the XG270HU, every freeysync monitor is affected by it and it's upto monitor makers to fix it with a firmware update, just like the Benq XL2730Z had which I own and the XG270HU.

Here is my monitor

Below is a article from a review of the XG270HU on TFTcentral.co.uk about the same issue that affected the XG270HU and they say it affects all freesync monitors.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xg270hu.htm#freesync

We need the same firmware fix for the Acer XF270HU, and every new monitor you guys release. To think that this is still affected on the 2018 version is unacceptable. I sent it to acer and they sent it back without doing anything saying it works. To a unqualified person they couldn't tell but to people that understand they tech will easily be able to test it. I had no way to speak to the service technicians so they were working from a call centre guys notes if they even had all the info I have them.

The other day I purchased the Nixeus 27 EDG from newegg and got free shiping to Australia, it has variable overdrive working with freesync. You talk to people that know what they are talking about there as they are experts on Freesync with a range of 30-144Hz freesync certified.

Ill be returning my Acer as they is no sight of a fix and I bet the new Nitro monitors will still have the samne issue that aAcer did not learn from the XG270HU wich was a TN panel so it much more important to have overdrive working on a IPS monitor.

• Astrix_au
    Cory it does not work, many people have tested it, have you guys even tested it. I have the XF270HU Abmiidprzx (frameless version 2018) which has freesync on HDMI 2.0 and DP and both overdrive is not working. I have to disable it on HDMI to use the monitor without horrible ghosting. It's stutters and judders as freesync is disabled.
    Turning freesync off in Radeon settings does nothing, you can use CRU.exe but I found a better way. Just turn the monitor off hold the power button and the mode button then release the power button when the desktop appears then let go of the mode button and then press the mode button again. This will bring up the monitors firmware version and will dissable freesync. Then just press the button next to to the mode button to hide the info box and then you can change the overdrive and put it on extreme or normal and you will see instantly the ghosting is majorly decreased, overdrive doesn't work with freesync.

Doing this method to dissable freesync on displayport does nothing and you have ti use HDMI, I use HDMI2.0.

It's the same bug that affected the XG270HU, every freeysync monitor is affected by it and it's upto monitor makers to fix it with a firmware update, just like the Benq XL2730Z had which I own and the XG270HU.

Here is my monitor

Below is a article from a review of the XG270HU on TFTcentral.co.uk about the same issue that affected the XG270HU and they say it affects all freesync monitors.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xg270hu.htm#freesync

We need the same firmware fix for the Acer XF270HU, and every new monitor you guys release. To think that this is still affected on the 2018 version is unacceptable. I sent it to Acer and they sent it back without doing anything saying it works. To a unqualified person they couldn't tell but to people that understand they tech will easily be able to test it. I had no way to speak to the service technicians looking at it so they were working from a call centre guys notes if they even had all the info I gave them over many emails and calls.

The other day I purchased the Nixeus 27 EDG from newegg and got free shiping to Australia, it has variable overdrive working with freesync. You talk to people that know what they are talking about there as they are experts on Freesync with a range of 30-144Hz freesync certified.

Ill be returning my Acer as they is no sight of a fix and I bet the new Nitro monitors will still have the same issue that Acer did not learn from the XG270HU which was a TN panel so it much more important to have overdrive working on a IPS monitor.
  • Astrix_au
    Please delete the first post, I tried to edit it but it created another.
  • Astrix_au
    edited September 2018
    I left out the photos on the second post. I wouldn't buy another monitor if overdrive was working with Freesync I actually really like the monitor and would love it if it worked as advertised. I would love the XF270HU Abmiidprzx to work like it's supposed to. I really love the look of the monitors frameless design. I purchased the Nixeus 27 EDG which has larger bezels but the overdrive has variable overdrive that actually works. No other monitor has this today. I believe maybe your monitor is supposed to have that as well but I am sorry I can attest to it 100% overdrive isn't working when the monitor is in Freesync mode. When I bring up the firmware info to disable freesync the monitor's mode goes from Freesync to normal mode (listed under information on the OSD) only then overdrive works on HDMI. If the monitor is is Freesync mode overdrive is off on HDMI and DP even though it says the overdrive is in normal mode and you cannot change it.

If you guys didn't fix the freesync bug for the new 2018 version of the XF270HU (Frameless) your new Nitro models just about to come out Q4 2018 the Nitro XV273K (IPS, 27" UHD 144Hz, DCI-P3 90% WCG),  Nitro XV272U ((IPS, 27" WQHD 144Hz, DCI-P3 95% WCG) and the Nitro XF272U (TN, 27" WQHD 144Hz, DCI-P3 90% WCG) will most likely also have the same bug. The community no longer has faith that you guys want to fix this or even know about it or care to admit it. This info is not reaching the right people or is just getting swept under the carpet.

Below are pictures of my XF270HU Abmiidprzx in case my first post gets deleted above for double posting as I forgot to put it on the second post with the extra info and some spelling mistakes fixed.

If you guys had a fix for the XF270HU people might have faith that the new ones are fixed because you guys saying it's works doesn't make it so. This many people returning it and staying away from Acer should be a huge clue that there is a issue. If you play slow games you might bot notice it but on fast games and people that have use Freesync with 144hz and overdrive know straight away, the ghosting is really bad on fast action games. You just need to compare it with freesync disabled and on fast movement you can see it's actually off.
  • Dadafu
    Dadafu Member Posts: 1 New User
    Still the same problem on my new XF270HUA 2018.. please Acer do something... At this price you need to !
  • Astrix_au
    edited September 2018
    The nitro series most likely will have the same issue. They need their firmware development team to look into this otherwise the whole new Nitro series will be a failure.

If Acer needs help use the services of these guys below if they don't already develop their firmware for Acer. Infact they make the hardware to test the actual overdrive timings and statistics that http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ uses on their site!
    https://www.etcsk.com/index.php/en/.
  • Astrix_au
    I ended up buying a Nixeus 27 EDG. It has the same panel but has 30-144hz and the overdrive works with freesync, it's awesome. I wish the Acer worked right, I really like it. 
  • shwhjw
    shwhjw Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited May 2019
    Welp, guess that's another monitor off my list of potentials. No news about the overdrive + freesync since?
  • Korg64
    Korg64 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Use HDMI v2 in the HDMI 2 socket on the panel, you wont get freesync / Gsync but youll get 144hz refresh rate and the ghosting is totally removed when you turn overdrive off.
  • dragrussia
    dragrussia Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello, I have  acer kg251qfbmidpx monitor. If I connect using dvi-d, then in the monitor settings I can select various overdrive modes, but if I connect using a displayport, then the overdrive selection in the monitor becomes inactive. I turned off the freesync in the  Radeon settings, rebooted the computer and the monitor, but the choice of overdrive is still unavailable. The input lag is very important to me, please help. 
  • MarcStew
    MarcStew Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, I purchased an XF270HUA just last month from Amazon and am having problems with Freesync + Overdrive. Freesync only works over DP, but when enabled the Overdrive setting is stuck to "Normal" but doesn't appear to be working? I'm getting huge amounts of blur when gaming and what appears to be ghosting when looking left/right quickly.

If Freesync is turned off then Overdrive works as intended and the ghosting disappears... But then I get a bunch of choppiness and stuttering when looking left/right quickly and it defeats the purpose of having Freesync. Is there/will there be a Windows 10 firmware update for this monitor? Looking on the support page there only appears to be a Windows 8 firmware update (and it's really just an ICC color profile with no actual update).
  • TheTrueTerror
    TheTrueTerror Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hey! Is there any Update? I guess not right? Still struggling with this a bit since i bought it a year ago and was very ill so i couldn't use Pc's at all for a year and now im trying to figure out if it is fixed or we get no support by acer and i will never buy Acer Products again .... 
  • Astrix_au
    edited July 2020
    No fix as far as I know and I am sure there won't be. Acer has moved on to new monitors that I beleive have working overdrive when using freesync  / Gsync. I have since upgraded again and now have the LG 27GL850 with working overdrive with Freesync / Gsync. I used this LG with my Vega 64 LC and now with my Aorus 2080ti, overdrive on the LG just works and it's certified Gsync compatible with Adaptive Sync. I'll be upgrading to a new IPS with 180hz or 240hz IPS @ 1440p. Acer has a pretty nice one and i think they are the first to release those specs, specially on a IPS panel. So 2560x1440p 240Hz IPS.
  • TheTrueTerror
    TheTrueTerror Member Posts: 2 New User
    Wellll.. thats kinda sad