GN276HL Overdrive keeps resetting

Coolermatt
Coolermatt Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 16 in 2018 Archives

I get a horrible ghosting/corona effect when playing games with this monitor that I can fix by turning the Overdrive setting to off in the OSD menu.  

The problem comes when I turn the monitor off, it seems to reset the OD setting and the ghosting/corona effect comes back.  When I go back into the OSD it shows that OD is set to off, but I have to change it to normal then back to off in order to get rid of it.  It's a confusing problem that I've found others online have too, but there is no answer out there.

Is there a way to turn the Overdrive setting to off permanently?  Does anyone know how to access a service menu or factory menu for this monitor?

Best Answer

• Jose-Acer
    Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,339 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your patience throughout this process.  We have released a firmware that addresses the ghosting issue you are experiencing on your GN276HL monitors.  Please contact your local Support Organization so they can assist you in setting up the unit for repair.

Thanks,

Acer-Jose

Answers

• Arekkusu
    Arekkusu Member Posts: 4 New User

I recently purchased a GN276HL as well and the overdrive reset issue is bugging the ***** out of me.  Yes, the monitor has minor ghosting when the overdrive setting is off, but the coronas that form when even on the normal setting (which the monitor defaults to) are incredibly distracting.

• Coolermatt
    Coolermatt Member Posts: 2 New User

I've been searching the internet for 3 days looking for a solution, and I don't think there is one beyond changing the setting every time you turn the monitor on.  I know of someone else with the same monitor who has been posting on forums and looking for help too, but no luck.

I'm just going to return this monitor and try a different brand, I hope you have that option too.

• Regor
    Regor Member Posts: 1 New User

I got my monitor 3 weeks ago and I am facing the exact same issue since the very beginning. It will happen not only if I fully shut down the monitor (power button) but when the monitor enters stand by too.

It is no issue that i would ask for an RMA, but it can be really annoying if you don't think of doing the steps OP told (putting OD to normal, then back to off) and all you can see is coronas on moving objects.

I would really appreciate a solution instead of that work around. Besides that the monitor really is worth the money.

• xJeremx
    xJeremx Member Posts: 6 New User
    Hello,

I bought this monitor and I have the exact same issue.. I have to set OD on normal then set it off to actually set OD off..

Please someone from acer to help us???
  • Tagyhag
    Tagyhag Member Posts: 3 New User

I made an account just to verify that this is indeed a problem. We should not be required to have to manually turn the setting on and off again just to make it work. Especially since it's supposedly off in the first place!

Hopefully there is a solution to this soon, I've searched all over the Internet and no one has any permanent fixes. A monitor that costs almost $300 should not have such a problem.

• Jose-Acer

Hello All,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience you’re having with the monitor not remembering your OD settings.  This issue has been escalated and when I have more information I’ll update you in this thread.

• Tagyhag

That's great to hear Jose! Hopefully there's an easy solution to it all.

• Arekkusu
    Any word yet? I know his type of issue takes a little bit of time to look into, but any info would be awesome.
  • xJeremx
    Waiting for news too..
  • Jose-Acer

Hello everyone,

First I would like to thank you for your patience.  We have been looking into the issue that you're reporting.  Unfortunately at this time I don't have a resolution.  I'm very sorry for the delay.

• Zandaric
    Zandaric Member Posts: 4 New User

I just recieved my new monitor 2 days ago and mine is also having this same exact issue.

I am leaving a negitive review on newegg where I purchased it.

That was a lot of money for an item that has this kind of issue.

Mine does this every single time a run a game, every time I change the resolution and every time the hertz gets changed. It does not matter if the monitor stays on or off. I find this very very disturbing. I am not happy but I'm trying to decide if I can deal with this issue or not. I have a feeling that there is no fix for this. Unless ACER can flash a new firmware.

• xJeremx

Yes, the same for me... This was the first and last time I ever buy something from ACER...

• Zandaric

My monitor seems to be auto setting overdrive to extreme mode after I turn OD off. I used the "UFO ghosting test" and tested the three settings for OverDrive against what happens when the monitor forgets the off setting. It matched closest to the extreme setting.

I hit reset while it was powering on. I entered the service mode (power on while holding the first left-most button) and just snooped around. I also reset it using the OSD reset option. I switched through the 3 modes and then set it to normal. Then using "UFO ghosting test" I switched through all the hertz settings and verified is was staying on normal.

Now, I suddenly don't seem to be having anywhere near as much ghosting on the normal setting and the monitor does not seem to be forgetting when set to normal mode. I'm not sure if it was something I did or not. Maybe it just needed to be reset and to be used for a few days. I don't know. But it still forgets the off setting

• Jose-Acer
    Answer ✓

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your patience throughout this process.  We have released a firmware that addresses the ghosting issue you are experiencing on your GN276HL monitors.  Please contact your local Support Organization so they can assist you in setting up the unit for repair.

Thanks,

Acer-Jose

• Tagyhag

Thanks for the help Jose, it's a shame that you physically have to send the monitor to repair for a simple firmware update.

• Arekkusu
    Just a fair warning to everyone. I just got my monitor set to go on Monday and it cost me almost $150 to ship from Georgia to Texas (where the repair center is). I spoke with Acer support and they only gave me an address to send it to.

$150 for a firmware update?
  • xJeremx
    This is just unbelievable.. as I said, goodbye acer for ever.
  • Zandaric

I was not charged since I just bought mine. Acer provided a pre-paid shipping label.

• Zandaric

I sent in my monitor for this issue and they tested it and sent it back without doing anything. Now I am extremely **bleep** off. Thanks for nothing ACER!!!!! Now they want me to send it back again. This thing will probably end up in for repair longer then I have gotten to use it.

• xJeremx
    As I said, just do it like me.. deal with it and never buy acer products again... that is the only realistic solution