Black screen ("no signal") when launching games on G-sync monitor XB240HA

Z3R0Q00L
Z3R0Q00L Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have recently come across an issue where when launching a game for the first time will often result in a black screen with “no signal” message.

The PC doesn’t crash, the game still runs as I can hear the game.

There is no record in event viewer of any kind of driver or hardware crash.

I can get signal back to the monitor by logging out “blindly” (ctr+alt+del, 2x down arrow, enter). Once I log in, the game is still there. Depending on the game, it maybe be minimized. I can maximize the window which will lead to a black screen again. If I go into nvidia control panel before maximizing the game and turn off g-sync, the game will run normally and there will be no black screen.

By rebooting the PC the issue will not happen again, at least until the next day or so, it varies, but I can reproduce it regularly, once a day, on the first boot, first time I launch a game. It can happen right at the start, or transitioning from the menus to the actual game.

I tested with 4 different GPUs, 2x 1080, 1x 1050, 1x 1060 (current), still it happens with every one.
Tested with different cable, still happens.
Tried different driver versions, basically all recent ones, from 2017, and the issue still occurs.

Tested with integrated iGPU and different monitor, no issue there.

Most importantly: If use old drivers, namely 375.70, this issue will not happen, as far as I could test.

I would be fine with using old drivers, however some games do require a specific set of drivers installed (e.g. Battlefront 2 Beta). Bypassing is possible of course, and preventing windows from updating too, but it’s cumbersome. Also, in the future some specific set of drivers might be required for a new GPU, and the issue might still be present.

I would like to know if there is any kind of possibility of having this specific issue sorted out, or if there are others (I know there are) with any kind of different or better solution for this.

4690K, 8GB Ram 2400mhz
GTX1060 with the monitor in question being the Acer Predator XB240H Abpr.