What version of Linpus Lite was installed on ACER ASPIRE ONE A110L net books?

henman
henman Member Posts: 52 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Can somebody please tell me what version of Linpus Lite that was installed on these laptops? These were the small Acer Aspire One Net Books that had the Linpus and the A110W had the windows Xp

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

I'm coming up mostly blank, they released 2.1 in 2014 and are at 2.2 now, but that model dates back to at least 2009 so I would expect it shipped with '9.4' (the next upgrade I find is '1.6' in 2011) which was first released in 2007. Check here for distribution information.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • henman

Thanks for the reply!!

As far as I can tell from looking at adds for these for sale is they had Linpus Lite v1.0.7E installed on them and I was going to purchase one but procrastinated a bit too long and got stuck with an Acer Aspire One 533 with Windows 7 Starter installed. The A110 performed VERY well with either the Linpus or Windows XP whereas my 533 was a dog with the Windows 7!!! It came with only one gig of ram which was a large part of the problem other than this laptop being pretty much the bare minimum to support this stripped down version of the operating system. 

Okay now we try to upgrade the ram to 2 gigs. Contacted Acer and what a sick joke! Will not sell me a 2 gig stick because the 533 version I have only came with 1 gig . I discovered it was a miserable job to upgrade the ram as the youtube videos will show and thats why I wanted to purchase before the ordeal. Okay no help from Acer so we pull the whole thing apart as carefully as possible to prevent damage, scratches, carnage etc. just to see what kind it is and hopefully match. Later I found 2 gigs which helped. Off topic a bit here but since Win XP is nolonger supported (which I still use on my Desktop PC) I wanted what the 533 possibly had for Linux. I'm not sure if it was even available on the 533 but from what I can tell what I was looking at previously could have been an A110 and if I can get this copy (which I think might be lurking on my desktop) I will get another harddrive and go through the ordeal again of disassembly and swap the drive so I don't erase my Win7 installation partition and other partition with my already operating system with all my files etc. or attempt to use an external harddrive?. I will try what I suspect is the same version on one of my Desktops and see how it performs etc. As many on this forum know there were complaints about this version as being too stripped down, etc. but in reality you could click on a small icon and toggle back and forth. Why am I considering this with all the complaints? It was full GUI and I have played around with Linux for a long time and got sick and tired of being sick and tired of that  Command Line BS. Ever play around with DOS?? If you can't remember the commands you are screwed and can spend much time seaching for the proper command line jargon. At least with the version I saw on the laptop I almost bought, it would be friendlier for somebody wanting to make the transition from Windoze to Linux and when that time comes one could upgrade to a more advanced distro because seems to me the v1.0.7.E was also Ubuntu based.

[inappropriate content removed]

• henman

Forgot to mention I tried your link many months ago and ran into the same situation. Also if you go to the Linpus website they only have latest versions and I too came up with a blank so then I started digging around for ads and specs on the suspect operating system version. A google search later I started finding. Recently I dragged out an old PIII I used to use for file sharing and bit ***** and discovered an old early copy of what might be what Acer used back in the day.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

You might try booting live CDs from USB to get a handle on what the performance is like. I'd guess some of the more current low impact distributions will work fairly well. Maybe not a full Ubuntu install but one of the lighter Debian based systems.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.