Ubuntu installation on Gateway NE56R41u

coolmichaelrock
coolmichaelrock Member Posts: 32 New User

Hi! I am thinking of installing Ubuntu on My Gateway NE56R i am wondering a few things, Can acer release drivers for linux for this computer if possible? 

Also the biggest question mostly is, is my computer compatible really, I tried the live usb and it loads so fast on ubuntu 15.04.  Another huge question would be like Would i have to restore the windows boot manger since this laptop is UEFI and Ubuntu would install GRUB boot manager, also if i do install ubuntu and say remove it a year or two (most unlikely as i am a geek Smiley Tongue ) and well if i were to how would i remove GRUB from the UEFi boot menu?

But most important do i need drivers from you guys and do you know for a fact if this PC Is compatible? this has no warranty on the laptop.. if it did i would have contacted the live chat but can't..

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

yes or you can use the automatic repair from a windows installation media.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

so you want to make a dual boot or just Ubuntu?

if you want to install Ubuntu alone, without any dual boot with windows, the easiest thing to do is to create an erecovery media with Acer erecovery software, so you can easily wipe your HDD and re-install windows from scratch.

So it will be no problem between GRUB and windows boot manager.

normally Ubuntu will work without any additional drivers installation but sometimes some hardware need it and you can download from the hardware manufacter or from any ubuntu repository if something is available.

the ubuntu official community is a very good source about drivers, suggestions and tricks.

• coolmichaelrock

I'm wanting to do a dual boot so i'd have ubuntu to fall back on if windows were to fail me and maybe have it to do some tutorial videos on youtube ^_^

So if i were to install and decide down the road to remove it.. Would removing the partitions for linux be enough or would i have to say mount the efi partition in windows and remove the ubuntu entry or would upon removing it, remove the option for grub/ubuntu in the boot menu, if it don't would it hurt anything to keep it there??

• IronFly

Since you install Ubuntu after Windows, if you decide to use GRUB as boot, you will need to remove GRUB and Ubuntu partitions and re-enable windows boot manager on UEFI.

there will be no Ubuntu entry on windows boot manger if you choose to use GRUB.

if you choose to use windows boot manager to boot Ubuntu too, you will need to remove Ubuntu entry from it and relative partition.

• coolmichaelrock

You have me confused now,

Installing ubuntu would make the entry would make the windows boot manager option in the UEFI disappear and be replaced with GRUB, or would it have both listed??

• IronFly

As far i remember during installation you can choose to use GRUB or any other installed boot manager, but it's been a long time ago, maybe the changed something in this years.

so to be clear:

installation with GRUB, you will have GRUB that override Windows Boot manager (if you uninstall Ubuntu, you will have to set Windows boot manager on UEFI as first bootable device)

installation without GRUB, added entry to windows boot manager (if you uninstall Ubuntu, you will need to delete Ubuntu entry on windows boot manager, if is not done automatically)

to be honest, i never liked 2 OSs on the same HDD, i always prefered having an OS on each HDD (you have to install the second OS with the first HDD diconnected or it will recognised the other boot manager and try to override or modify it) so it's just a matter of choosing boot device on F12 menu and if i don't like an OS, i just disconnect the HDD.

• coolmichaelrock

Thank you for all the help!

btw would bootrec /fixmbr fix the bootloader on UEFI systems as well or is it a little more compliacaited?

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

yes or you can use the automatic repair from a windows installation media.