windows 8.1 audio not working

trashbrats
trashbrats Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hey all,

I have an Aspire V5-571G

I updated to Windows 8.1 (64bit) a few days ago.

Since the update, when playing audio on iTunes (was 11.3 but now updated to 11.4 both post win 8.1 anyway)/Windows Media Player and on YouTube & other sites, audio has stopped working completely or become extremely distorted. Sometimes it works fine but never for extended periods of time. I'm not sure what triggers the distortion and silence but it has ONLY been happening since the 8.1 update.

I updated the RealTek sound drivers with the driver for my model from the Acer website and it has not improved the situation.

I've been looking around for a solution / cause of the problem and the only questionable driver I have is this

pci.PNG

There's no update for this on the Acer site r.e. my model and the Windows online update thing cannot find an update either.

I don't know what to do and what potential solutions I have left so any help would be appreciated. I've been trawling through the internet and I'm out of potential solutions and ideas.

If it's not possible to fix this via updating or tweaking 8.1, is it possible to do a system restore back to Win 8 without removing my files and if so how? Any answers are much appreciated, thank you Smiley Happy

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Windows logo key + X
    click on Device manager

if Yellow exclamation mark is present
    double click on it
    choose "Details" tab
    from dropdown menu, select HardwareIDs
    click on the first value and copy/paste it here

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • trashbrats

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_5289&SUBSYS_528910EC&REV_01

• IronFly

This is the card reader, so it's not realted to sound.

by the way, download this:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/CardReader/CardReader_Acer_6.2.9200.27040_W81x64_A.zip?acerid=635349570957321825&Step1=ULTRA-THIN&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20V5-571G&OS=81P1&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

about sound, please check on services:

windows logo key+ R

then type:

services.msc

check if Bluetooth service is running, enabled and with automatic startup.

• trashbrats

Could it have still caused the audio to malfunction somehow? (e.g. as some of the drivers failed to install correctly it prevents the system from functioning as intended? Just for future reference, in case this happens again).

In saying that, a I've intstalled that driver and at the very least my devices list is looking better.

And, I say this with fingers crossed, but I THINK it's fixed the audio issue at least, as I have restarted my computer and audio has consistently worked without distortion for about an hour now maybe (post update, pre restart then post restart and then again post hibernation)

But thank you very much for the help! Smiley Happy

(And the Bluetooth device automatic startup thing is running)

• IronFly

i don't think so.

• trashbrats

yeah the audio's been playing up again so that can't have been the fix, frustratingly enough. offically out of ideas now Smiley Indifferent