win 7 backup disks

oldyam
oldyam Member Posts: 24 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Can anyone tell me if the backup disks made on a 5750g laptop have the product key embeded in them or can they be used to recover another 5750g laptop back to a previous version of windows.

Both laptops were originally running windows 7 home premium but are now running win 10

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi Nigel---Didn't notice that you started a new thread that was related to the old thread, "Hello and How do I register a used 5750 Laptop". So I got a bit confused.

I'm still waiting for an answer on the unrecognised  SNID for the recovery media. But I think the pricing differential has something to do with it!

All I can say if that if I had the 5750 media, and it was my 5750, I'd give it a go and try to upgrade it back to Win7! 8^) But it's not mine! Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

If the hidden ACER recovery partition is still intact on the other machine that came without the disks, you can use the Alt+F10 method to re-install Win7 home premium as shown in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ  Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• oldyam

The hidden recovery partition is no longer on the HDD, so it appears someone has done a clean win 10 install.

Which is my reason for asking the question, it does feel a little like we're getting ripped off in europe !

The problem I have is that the erecovery disk from Acer will cost me around $ 76 including the shipping so its an expensive option, especially when you get the same in the US for $20.

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Hi Nigel---Didn't notice that you started a new thread that was related to the old thread, "Hello and How do I register a used 5750 Laptop". So I got a bit confused.

I'm still waiting for an answer on the unrecognised  SNID for the recovery media. But I think the pricing differential has something to do with it!

All I can say if that if I had the 5750 media, and it was my 5750, I'd give it a go and try to upgrade it back to Win7! 8^) But it's not mine! Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• oldyam

Hi Jack

Thanks for your input on the "Upgrade" from win 10 to win 7, it would appear thet the disks generated during the  startup of the laptop are generic to this particular model and no product key was needed in this case to carry out the upgrade.

I will "Upgrade" the other laptop when I have backed up all the data on the HDD.

Kind Regards

Nigel