password lockout

riksir
riksir Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

was just given an Acer Aspire One with password lock out...the original owner does not remember it.  I need recovery software.  Acer wanted to charge me $79.00 to do this.  Is there a cheaper or free method to get pass the pass word lock out on Win 7?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Is the computer locked using a BIOS/hard disk password or windows login password?

If it is windows login password, Restart the computer. When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the left Alt, and the F10 keys.
    During the process, all data stored on your computer will be overwritten. This means all your files, such as email and photos, will be erased. Therefore, we recommend making a backup of all personal data before starting the recovery process..
    If you are prompted with a Microsoft Windows boot screen, press the Enter key.
    After the Acer eRecovery Management application has loaded, select your restore type.
    Read the notice, and then click Next when you are ready.
    Click Next to begin the restore process. The restore can take anywhere from 10 minutes up to an hour.

Once the restore is complete your computer will load Windows and start installing your drivers and software. After everything is complete your computer will be like it was when you first purchased it.

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• meadowinthewoods
    meadowinthewoods Member Posts: 1 New User
    How do I know if it's Windows password lock or BIOS hard disk password lockout? I followed instructions for Windows password lockout & pressed alt & f10, but still got the same lockout screen...?