eRestore fails on my Aspire 5733Z with a Data error

fredlooks
fredlooks Member Posts: 3 New User

I purchased the eRestore media from Acer, and when I went to restore, I got the error "Restore failed - Error code=0x17(Data error (cyclic redundancy check).)" on Recovery disk 2 of 3. Following the advise in this thread, I tried to copy the CD to an ISO on another computer using InfraRecorder. It reported a bunch of read errors which it could correct after up to 108 retries, followed by a read error that it could not recover from. (I tried recovery 3 of 3 which read fine, so it's most likely just disk 2)

I would like to restore this computer, and I have a strong preference for not buying more restore disks (there seems to be a non-trivial number of discs with media errors, based on the reports in this forum).

What exactly are my options? Can anyone from Acer help?  I did all of this successfully on another (non-laptop) Acer I had and it worked just fine, but I seem to have run out of rope on this machine.

Help?

Best Answer

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

I agree with JackE - try rubbing alcohol or a special DVD/CD cleaner.

Basically a "cyclic redundancy check" means it can't read the data, so if cleaning it doesn't help, then contact support & explain. They should send a replacement disk FOC

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

How long ago did you purchase the 5733z eRecovery media from Acer? Was it from the online acer store? Did you try to clean the media with rubbing alcohol or similar cleaner?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

I agree with JackE - try rubbing alcohol or a special DVD/CD cleaner.

Basically a "cyclic redundancy check" means it can't read the data, so if cleaning it doesn't help, then contact support & explain. They should send a replacement disk FOC

• fredlooks

I puchased the eRestore through the online Acer store about 6 weeks ago.

Rubbing alcohol is something I should have thought of sooner - thanks.

Sadly, while it fixed up the several places where Infrarecorder complained that it needed to re-read multiple times, there appears to be an uncorrectable error on the media, so it still fails.

Thanks for the assist, though.

• fredlooks

Yup, cleaning failed to resolve the issue.

I'll have to contact support, as you suggest.

Thanks