e5-571 precision touch pad configuration

Gorio
Gorio Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

After wasting a bunch of time reading about all the others having trouble with the Precision Touch pads. This is what I have leaned.

There are no setting controls under control panel/mouse. Instead the control are part of the windows 8.1 operating system. So on the start screen gear symbol, computer and devices, mouse touch pad. There you will find some limited controls for the touch pad.

In my opinion this system makes these notebooks unuseable. It is another case of taking something that works and changing it for the worse. There is no talk of changing this so if would be if and when or never.

I am voting with my feet on this one and returning two of these machines and likely crossing Acer off my shopping list.

Best of luck.

Best Answer

• Gorio
    Answer ✓

The link is more of the same. I don't think people will be happy with less settings on their touch pads. They are a very personal thing for a lot of people.

I think 8 is a failure and hoping that 10 will be better.
    My feet straddle the line on 8. I can live with it if I have too but general I am better equipped to run 7 or linux.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,433 Trailblazer

May not help you much but check this link out for essentially the same issue.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Aspire-E5-511-Touchpad-Driver-not-working/td-p/287522

So, how would your feet vote for Win8.1 vs Win7? 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gorio
    Answer ✓

The link is more of the same. I don't think people will be happy with less settings on their touch pads. They are a very personal thing for a lot of people.

I think 8 is a failure and hoping that 10 will be better.
    My feet straddle the line on 8. I can live with it if I have too but general I am better equipped to run 7 or linux.

• JackE

Agreed!

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gorio

off topic but how long have you been into the foot lauch stuff?

• JackE

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gorio

The biggest problems that the precision touch pads is configures done under windows rather then as hardware setting using a manufacturers driver. This has limited the number of settings to the point that the touch pad becomes useless. I now realize that this is entirely an operating system issue and the only part Acer has played in allowing their hardware to be used in this way.
    I truly wonder what Microsoft thinks is the advantage of having one or two setting for a touch pad? They continue to remove control from the end user. I am sorry but I want control of the setting on my machine and I don't need to be asked three times if I really want to see all the files on my drives when logged on as an administrator.
    Why are all computers in North America sold with Windows on them?
    I think it is time for people to realize it is not the only operating system and to make a choice.

• jhm115
    jhm115 Member Posts: 8 New User

I have the exact same problem (see the thread I started) and Acer support was useless. The laptop is useless for business because it continues to inadvertently zoom in (the pinch/zoom feature which needs to be disabled, among other things).

Do you think downgrading to Windows 7 might solve the problem?

• stokes85
    stokes85 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi all,

i've an Aspire E5-571G-55DP , touchpad is very bad and not usefull, drag and drop is impossible.

It's my first and last time, i bought an Acer.

Capslock indicator is missing! Incredible!

• JackE

Try keyboard-leds freeware for  caplock, scrollock & numlock virtual tray leds.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ