change mode PIO to ULTRA DMA not possible

chb12
chb12 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hello,

I have two aspire one running XP and one is very slow.

I switched the HD and the problem remains with the notebook.

I did upgrade the BIOS to the latest one, no change.

What I found is that the ATA/ATAPI controller is set to MODE PIO on the slow notebook and I cannot change it to ULTRA DMA. When I change the driver to the right one then at startup I need to get back to the previous correct configuration as oit will not load windows..

What shall I do?

I am lost.

Thank you.

Christophe

Best Answer

• chb12
    Answer ✓

I did it another way see below... and it works.

thanks for the support anyway.

if anyone is having trouble with the chipset drivers after upgrading to xp pro its because of the bios settings … i bought 70 laptops for our network and had a lot of trouble with ahci and ide on the d250… i had to have the bios set to ahci because i was using windows deployment to image the pc’s but xp pro just doesnt like it.. it took me a lot of stress and time to work it out but here it is…

if after installing the chipset drivers it goes into a loop try this, type in nlite in google, download and install the software, you will need your windows cd and sata drivers (or maybe storage drivers)… run nlite, select your copy of windows xp and choose add driver, add the sata driver and nlite will create an iso for you… burn this iso to cd (there are a lot of free iso burning programs on the net)….

from there, select ahci in the bios and boot from your new cd and it will format, install windows with the sata driver and will work…

bien, it may seem like a lot of hassle but it does work and itsn’t as complex as it sounds, the big problem you may have if you dont do it this way and leave the bios as ide is when installing the chipset drivers it may throw up a blue screen when rebooting because they expect ahci in the bios and it isnt there…

hope that helps….

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

i suggest you to update to the latest chipset drivers available and have a read to this good article:

http://winhlp.com/node/10

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • chb12
    Answer ✓

I did it another way see below... and it works.

thanks for the support anyway.

if anyone is having trouble with the chipset drivers after upgrading to xp pro its because of the bios settings … i bought 70 laptops for our network and had a lot of trouble with ahci and ide on the d250… i had to have the bios set to ahci because i was using windows deployment to image the pc’s but xp pro just doesnt like it.. it took me a lot of stress and time to work it out but here it is…

if after installing the chipset drivers it goes into a loop try this, type in nlite in google, download and install the software, you will need your windows cd and sata drivers (or maybe storage drivers)… run nlite, select your copy of windows xp and choose add driver, add the sata driver and nlite will create an iso for you… burn this iso to cd (there are a lot of free iso burning programs on the net)….

from there, select ahci in the bios and boot from your new cd and it will format, install windows with the sata driver and will work…

bien, it may seem like a lot of hassle but it does work and itsn’t as complex as it sounds, the big problem you may have if you dont do it this way and leave the bios as ide is when installing the chipset drivers it may throw up a blue screen when rebooting because they expect ahci in the bios and it isnt there…

hope that helps….