acer aspire 5740 does not boot

Options
Drake
Drake Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hello Community,

I am having a problem with my 5740-5513 laptop. When I press the power button it shows up the Acer welcome screen and blanks out and sort of powers again and shows up Acer welcome screen. This keeps happening in a loop. 

I dont hear any RAM or DISPLAY beeps or hard disk activity. I am able to press F2 and go in BIOS. I do see HDD being available in the boot order settings. Not sure, if this is a static entry or only show up if it is detected. 

Could somebody please help me understand whats could be happening and how can I take care? This was brought in 2010 so dont have the warranty cover. Do I need a BIOS update? btw, this laptop was working fine and suddenly stopped working.

Thanks

drake

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i would open the ram cover and try to boot with one ram stick at time.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

The hard drive is probably what's causing this issue.

If the hard disk isn't' being detected in the BIOS, this could indicate a hardware issue. It could either be a bad hard drive, or the cable via which it is connected to the motherboard. It could also be just a loose connection.

But, you'll need to open it up to check what it is, and it's recommended that you take it to a local store or contact a local technician, if you're not comfortable doing so.

You could also try contacting Acer directly if you're still under warranty on the link mentioned below:
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/warranty-information