Windows configuring issue on Aspire M

lachiu
lachiu Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Has anyone on the forum experienced the following? My Aspire M shows the following message after trying to download windows updates : "Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not switch off your computer".

For about 30 minutes the co0mputer is in this "reverting" mode and I just have to sit there and wait for it to go through itsexercise. Most frustrating!!

This has been going on for at least 8 month now and sofar nothing I have tried has helped. Windows admits that it is caused by a Windows software fault but has not come up with a fix!

I'm hoping that someone can help?

Regards,  lachiu

Best Answer

• lachiu
    Answer ✓

Hi GuruAid-CS and Acer Support,

Thank you both very much for your answer to my problem. The answer from Acer Support got to me first and I did not waste any time, applying the suggested steps. The Acer Support mail reached me on the 14/10 and I have waited  with my reply for the following reasons:

As I mentioned in my original post, this problem has been with me for some time during which I have had a few (3) Tech. guys looking at my PC and "Fixing" the problem. Two days later it was back again. This was the case in all three Fixing operations. If I had not liked my Acer Aspire so much, that would have been the time when I was ready to purchase a new computer. But, as I said, I am happy with the machine - it is the fastest and most powerful I have had sofar and I bought my first PC in 1996- and was reluctant to "abandon ship".

Can I tell of a little episode with Microsft. About5 weeks ago I contacted Microsoft support and was put in touch with one of their technical help people. Apparently they charge for this service and they demanded $ 99 for it. When they took the number and my name from my credit card down, they made a small error in the spelling of my surname. I pointed this out to them but Visa had already pulled the plug on this transaction attempt and had cancelled the card at once. I had to get a new credit card and didn't attempt to contact Windows again.

I finally thought of this forum and only wish that I had thought of it earlier. Since the 14/10 I have had NO recurrance of this problem!!

Having had so many false hopes, I was reluctant to write after a couple of days that the problem was fixed. I have had at least 30 starts and restarts since then and there was no problem. This was after following Acer Supports instructions. I do, however, I keep GuruAids suggested steps close at hand - just in case:-))

So, let me thank you both again for your excellent advice and your quick help. I can't wipe the smile of my face :-)))

Best regards,

lachiu

Answers

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

You can try to reset your Windows Update Components by running Microsoft Fixit (if you have not done this already) and see if that fixes the issue. To do this, you can refer to the following website:
    http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/971058

If the issue still persists, you can refer to the link below for some more troubleshooting options:
    http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/949358

• lachiu
    Answer ✓

Hi GuruAid-CS and Acer Support,

Thank you both very much for your answer to my problem. The answer from Acer Support got to me first and I did not waste any time, applying the suggested steps. The Acer Support mail reached me on the 14/10 and I have waited  with my reply for the following reasons:

As I mentioned in my original post, this problem has been with me for some time during which I have had a few (3) Tech. guys looking at my PC and "Fixing" the problem. Two days later it was back again. This was the case in all three Fixing operations. If I had not liked my Acer Aspire so much, that would have been the time when I was ready to purchase a new computer. But, as I said, I am happy with the machine - it is the fastest and most powerful I have had sofar and I bought my first PC in 1996- and was reluctant to "abandon ship".

Can I tell of a little episode with Microsft. About5 weeks ago I contacted Microsoft support and was put in touch with one of their technical help people. Apparently they charge for this service and they demanded $ 99 for it. When they took the number and my name from my credit card down, they made a small error in the spelling of my surname. I pointed this out to them but Visa had already pulled the plug on this transaction attempt and had cancelled the card at once. I had to get a new credit card and didn't attempt to contact Windows again.

I finally thought of this forum and only wish that I had thought of it earlier. Since the 14/10 I have had NO recurrance of this problem!!

Having had so many false hopes, I was reluctant to write after a couple of days that the problem was fixed. I have had at least 30 starts and restarts since then and there was no problem. This was after following Acer Supports instructions. I do, however, I keep GuruAids suggested steps close at hand - just in case:-))

So, let me thank you both again for your excellent advice and your quick help. I can't wipe the smile of my face :-)))

Best regards,

lachiu