Windows 8 laptop-TV HDMI not working

Spookyfish
Spookyfish Member Posts: 6 New User

Hello,

I know this is a pretty common problem, but I have tried a bunch of solutions elsewhere in the forums and no luck. The HDMI connection on my laptop has stopped working. It was fine for several months, then just quit.

I have an Aspire e5-511 with Windows 8.1. I am confident that it's not the cable or TV. I just get a NO SIGNAL message.

The one thing I have not tried is changing BIOS, since I am a bit confused about how to do this. I chatted with an ACER rep who recommended a system refresh, but it sounds like a huge hassle since I will lose a lot of programs.

Any help/suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Spookyfish wrote:

Hello,

I know this is a pretty common problem, but I have tried a bunch of solutions elsewhere in the forums and no luck. 

Can you please which kind of solution you tried?

are you 100% sure is not the cable?

have you tried with another laptop/desktop using the same HDMI cable?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Spookyfish

Hi Ironfly. Thanks for the reply.

I am 99% sure it's not the cable. I'vetried it on two different TVs with two different cables.

I've tried removing and reinstalling drivers, the various Fn+f5 options, switching the HDMI ports on the TV, changing screen resolutions... I think that's it. I've seen that making BIOS changes is also a popular suggestion, but I am unsure how to do it and what I change.

I would like to try other things before a system refresh since that will uninstall a ton of installed programs.

• IronFly

There are no BIOS settings for HDMI on Acer laptops, as far as i know.

about drivers, did you installed downloaded drivers from Acer support website or also from Intel website?

did you install Intel or nVidia drivers?

• Spookyfish

Hi,

Yes. I tried an NVIDIA VGA driver, but it said the graphics driver could not find compatible hardware.

Intel said my installed drivers are newer than the VGA one I downloaded.

Oh, and I just tried a new HDMI cable, which didn't work.

• IronFly

ok, try this.

download the Intel drivers from the Acer support website, then go to program and features on your Control panel, uninstall Intel VGA drivers.

then go to device manager and from the display adapters, right click the intel graphic card and choose uninstall.

reboot, once in the desktop, install the downloaded Acer/Intel VGA drivers, reboot and check if your HDMI is working or not.

• Spookyfish

Done. It didn't work either. Wow, this is really frustrating!

• Spookyfish

Done, but still no success. I'm just getting that NO SIGNAL message.

Anything else I can try, or should I just fling my computer out a window?

Thanks for your help so far.

• IronFly

as last solution, you can try to re-install OS, boot pressing ALT+F10 and follow instructions (backup your personal data before do it)

• Spookyfish

Will this erase any installed data or programs though?

• IronFly

It depends on the Acer erecovery version, probably windows 8 will let you refresh the OS only and preserve your data and programs.

if not, you must backup all your personal data (that i would do, even if refresh was available; who knows if something goes wrong? ) and then re-install all your programs.