What's the Max Ram upgrade for Aspire 5551-2384

KeytarMan
KeytarMan Member Posts: 3 New User

Are there any requirements - Bios upgrade, etc?    I'm hoping for 12 or 16 GB but I'll settle for 8GB if it works.

Best Answer

• bugspop1
    bugspop1 Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

I would pop the cover off and take a look at your RAM that is already in there.  I always try to keep the same Speed RAM in the computer to avoid any problems.  Some computers can't handle much more speed than what is already in there.

In mine, the RAM you listed is the RAM I've used in my Acer Aspire 5742z-4601 Laptop: G.Skill RAM

I would still check out the RAM you have in there before ordering, just to be on the safe side!

Answers

• bugspop1

Tinkerer

I was thinking it was most likely 8GB.

The generic manual that Acer has for download doesn't look to have this information.

Found a Website that has some specs, looks to be 8GB!

Here is a link with Specs for the Aspire 5551: Aspire 5551

The Specs are about half way down the page!

• KeytarMan

That's the best spec listing I've seen - thanks!

• bugspop1

Tinkerer

I figured it had to be 8GB.

I own an old Acer 5742z-4601 that Maxed out at 8GB.

It came preinstalled with 3GB, 1 x 1GB Module and 1 x 2GB Module.

I had to replace Both Modules to upgrade to 8GB.

I bought a matched set of G.Skill RAM.

I've been using G.Skill for many years (Never had a Bad Module)!

Something else that might help your preformance on that laptop would be a Seagate Momentus XT 7200 RPM Hybrid Hard Drive (500GB or 750GB) (BTW, Western Digital also has Hybrid Drives).  The First 8GB of the Drive is SSD and the remainding part of the drive is a Standard drive.  The computer will boot and open programs much faster using a drive like this (usually much cheaper than buy an SSD Drive).

Upgrading the RAM and the Hard Drive might give you many more years of pleasurable use of your Acer Aspire Laptop.  I was thinking about Selling my old Laptop, but it still after 5-6 years, looks and runs like a new computer.

I may just keep it for a spare.  This laptop is why I went with Acer again.  Below is a little about my New Laptop.

My New Laptop: Acer Aspire V5 573P-6896, came Preinstall with 4GB RAM (Soldered on Board).

I upgraded it to the Maximum of 12GB using 1 x 8GB Module of G.Skill Ripjaws RAM.

My wife has an identical Laptop, upgraded to 12GB RAM also, same G.Skill Ripjaws RAM!

Also upgraded both to a 256GB mSATA SSD Drives. 

I still have the 500GB Standard Hard Drives set up for storage on these laptops.

Glad I could help you out!

• KeytarMan

If I hadn't already put in a 1TB drive I would consider the Hybred. 

One more question about the Ram - Do I need to worry about speed or voltage? Based on your recommendation I plan to get these - G.SKILL SQ Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz CL9 SODIMM Memory (F3-10666CL9D-8GBSQ)

Should do the trick..

Thank you again.

• bugspop1

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

I would pop the cover off and take a look at your RAM that is already in there.  I always try to keep the same Speed RAM in the computer to avoid any problems.  Some computers can't handle much more speed than what is already in there.

In mine, the RAM you listed is the RAM I've used in my Acer Aspire 5742z-4601 Laptop: G.Skill RAM

I would still check out the RAM you have in there before ordering, just to be on the safe side!