V3-571-6850, case is falling apart

Fisherguy
Fisherguy Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I inherited this laptop when my big brother passed away 3 years ago, it's about 4 years old I guess and the case is falling apart at the hinges.  I think a screw fell out near the hinge on the left side and the case broke when the other screw goes in, now it's gotten to the point where I'm thinking of duct taping the case to hold it together at the hinge when I open or close the lid, nice.

I've heard this is not uncommon with Acer Laptops, computer works fine with Win 10 but it sucks the case is literally falling apart, I don't spose Acer will do anything for me so what are my options?

I have an 8 year old HP laptop, that thing is solid as a brick compared to this thing.  I know one thing, if I'm too embarassed with this thing with the tape holding it together and have to buy a new laptop it WILL NOT be an Acer! (Guess now we know why they're so cheap!)

[inappropriate content removed]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer

>>>I've heard this is not uncommon with Acer Laptops>>>

It's not common either. 8^) But it can & does happen with every brand depending on its handling. Duct tape is fine. I use it myself on the busted hinge of my 17-inch G72-B66US. Lucky for me the HP's hinges are gray-colored so it color coordinates well with the plain old Nashua duct tape from Home Depot.  Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• Fisherguy

This has nothing to do with how it was handled at all, this thing has never been abused.

I took it apart last night, the case bottom has broken at all 6 locations on both hinges where the screws go through the hinge into the case, the plastic has broken around the threads; on the left side the plastic has broken at 1 hole where the screw goes up from the bottom of the case into the hinge, so on that side there's 1 screw left holding the hinge out of 6, on the right side both screws going up into the hinge are still holding. 

It seems the hinges are too stiff to be supported by the thing plastic bottom  case, 3 screws left holding out of the 10 it came with. 

This thing has been getting worse for about 2 years now  I can buy a new bottom  case off eBay for $30 US but what's the point? I know it won't last long, maybe 2 years will get me to the point it becomes totally obsolete though...

...however tonight I get the blue screen, tells me it's going to do a system restore then just sits there trying to boot for hours...? 

AAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH! 

• Fisherguy

Well if anyone finds this thread and wondered what the outcome was, I pm'd one of the Acer people on this forum and never even got a reply; then I think the hard drive packed it in so I bought a new laptop, and rest assured it's not an Acer! 

Will never consider anything with the Acer name on it, ever again. 

So long Acer!