The wireless led on my Aspire 5535 is ON all the time

BaRrY2049
BaRrY2049 Member Posts: 9 New User

The wireless led on my Aspire5535 is ON all the time, it will not turn off when the wireless button is pushed, instead I get a message on the screen " No Wireless Device" even though there is a card physically installed. Push the bluetooth button and the the message is "No Bluetooth Device ". I have changed the Atheros card and installed newest drivers also have replaced the "Launch card ". I still get the same problem. The machine works ok with a dongle but I would like to use the USB slot. Should I buy a different wireless card instead of the "G" band go for a "N" band? As there is no Bios update I cannot do anything with the Bios, (thinking it may be corrupt). Should I purchase a Bios chip?

or has anyone any Ideas as to how to solve my problem. 

Regards to all

Barry D

Best Answer

• BaRrY2049
    Answer ✓

Hey Jack,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I will take the machine apart maybe find the problem but for now I will stick to the dongle / eathernet, I usually when at home use the "Home Plug" system which I find does better than the dongle. Again many thanks for your help

BaRrY49

BarryD

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer

Are you still using the factory-installed Windows version?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BaRrY2049

Hi Jack E,

No I am now on windows 10 home. even if I reinstall windows 7 the Led stays ON, never goes out. Info on screen states "NO WIRELESS DEVICE" although one is installed, also I have tried a new wireless card and still get the same results, LED ON and No wireless Device. Any help would be most appreceiated.

BarRy49

• JackE

>>>even if I reinstall windows 7 the Led stays ON>>>

(1) Was this the Win7 version that was re-installed from the hidden recovery partition?

(2) Does device manager reveal any abnormalities?

(3) What does device manager show under network adapters? 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BaRrY2049

Hi Jack E,

windows 7 was a clean install as the H/D had died. I downloaded all the drivers from acer and the wifi never came on only the Led on startup and stayed on. 

Device manager does not show the adapter that is the only abnormality in device manager.

I have downloaded the correct driver for the adapter from Atheros but still nothing happening. New Launch card ( the activity leds etc,) still the wifi led stays ON.

BaRrY49

Barry D

• JackE

windows 7 was a clean install as the H/D had died.>>>Device manager does not show the adapter >>>adapter from Atheros >>>

(1) Was Win7 or WinVista factory-installed on the dead drive?

(2) How do you know it was/is an Atheros wireless adapter?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BaRrY2049

It was Win 7 and the Atheros card that was installed is a Atheros AR5B91. I also tried an Intel AC 7260

relevent drivers installed but still the wifi Led stays on. Hope this may help

BaRrY49

Barry D

• JackE

>>>the Atheros card that was installed is a Atheros AR5B91>>>

How do you know it was this particular wireless adapter?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BaRrY2049

I opened the case where the ram islooked for the wireless card which is plugged in held down with one screw and has one grey and one black wire attached to it. on the card is printed Ateros AR5B91

BaRrY49

Barry D

• JackE

Hi Barry:

Did you get this particular system new with factory-installed Win7 or WinVista? The reason I ask is because I can't seem to confirm that this Atheros wireless adapter was shipped with this model in the US.

BTW, this particular Atheros adapter is fairly cheap --- less than $35 --- if your's is defective.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• BaRrY2049

Hi Jack,

The laptop is a British (UK) and was bought new . The specs for this machine wil be differant to the USA. but that card was in the laptop when I opened it up. It came with Windows 7 Home Prem. I tried a new Atheros AR5B91 ( cost less than £10.00 GBP ) but still had the same problem. I downloaded new drivers and still Led ON, tried an Intel AC7250 with new drivers and still Led ON

BaRrY49

Barry D

• JackE

That explains why I couldn't confirm. Next question. Did any wireless card ever work? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BaRrY2049

The original card worked that was in the machine. When I replaced the h/d and installed windows 7 that was when all the problems started.

BaRrY49

Barry D

• JackE

>>>When I replaced the h/d and installed windows 7 that was when all the problems started>>>

Barry---

This seems merely coincidental considering all that you've already tried. But I do wanna make sure you did try the generic hotkey toggle combo to enable/disable the wireless adapter.

At this point, a motherboard issue seems more likely. When replacing parts, an IC possibly got electrostatically zapped. Or a ribbon or cable connection somehow got disturbed or loosened that still needs to be properly re-seated. Or ....who knows????

Have you accessed the bios menu yet just to check settings on peripheral identification/detection etc. This sometimes helps to re-fresh the boot system even if none of the settings seems out of place.  

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BaRrY2049

Hi Jack,

Yes tried all that and come to the conclusion that either a Bios update which is not available or as you mention the motherboard has an issue. Looks like I will have to carry on using a dongle or eathernet connection.

BaRrY49

Barry D

• JackE

>>>Looks like I will have to carry on using a dongle>>>

Yep Barry, the new dongles are cheap & small. Under the circumstances, I think your best option. But I'd probably still be tempted to pull things apart again sometime(maybe for one last time?) just to check and re-seat all the reasonably-accessible connections including those to the screen, vidicam, hdd etc even if not seemingly directly related to the wireless issue. Then again, maybe I'd leave well enough alone. I'm torn! 8^)

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• BaRrY2049
    Answer ✓

Hey Jack,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I will take the machine apart maybe find the problem but for now I will stick to the dongle / eathernet, I usually when at home use the "Home Plug" system which I find does better than the dongle. Again many thanks for your help

BaRrY49

BarryD