Not booting

neilbigh101
neilbigh101 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello everyone,

I have an Acer Aspire One.

When I turn it on the fan spins for a few seconds then stops and the cursur

just stays solid in the top left hand corner?

I have even trioed rebooting it fron Memory stick but its just the same

Any advice would be most appreciated

Neil

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

(1) What Aspire One model #. (2) What Windows version? (3) Do you see an ACER boot logo screen before the cursor appears? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• neilbigh101

Hi JackE,

Thanks for the reply, it`s an Apire One Model NAV70 with Windows XP, no boot up screen it jsut has the non flashing curser in the top left hand corner.

I have tried the F keys but still the same thing happens just the solid curser which happens immeadiatley I turn it on

Any pointers would be most appreciated

Neil

• JackE

Immediately after turning the machine on, do you hear any beeps? For example, one long beep followed by two short beeps. Or something similar? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• neilbigh101

Hi,

No beeps just the solid curser, and there is no lapse after you turn it on to try any of the F key options, I have swapped the RAM rebooted same happens then swapped the HDD rebooted same results?

• JackE

Try this. Shut all power down again. Then press & hold 3-4 random keys all at once. While still holding these keys, press the power button to turn the machine back on. Do you hear any beeps now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• neilbigh101

No different I`m afraid

• JackE

At best, the BIOS' cmos battery needs to be replaced. At worst, and more likely, the BIOS chip or one or more soldered connections on the mainboard has failed. A solder reflow in a ~450°F oven might revive it in the worst case. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• neilbigh101

oh poo, does it take the normal size cmos battery with being a small machine?

As a last resort could I just take out the motherboard and put it in my oven (dont laugh ok yea laugh lol) and if so for how long?

• JackE

Yep. Should be common 3V CR2032 button cell but with soldered prongs. Recognizable by having the appearance of a quarter coin. Google "rtc battery" "nav70" and/or "d250" with the quotes. Confirm what you have by disassembling to access mainboard.

As a last resort, bake the mainboard on aluminum foil. Temperatures and times vary depending on the solder used, lead or lead free, etc. Google "reflow" "temperature" for rough guidelines. You can also google "bake" "motherboard" "youtube" for videos on how some folks have done it.  I've used a toaster oven with an oven thermometer inside. Put the board in cold. Set for 425-450 F. Turn it on. When the temperature nears the set point, I call it done and pull it out.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• neilbigh101

Ok, will do all of that as I have nothing to lose.

Once I`m done I will let you know how it went, if thats ok?

But in the mean time thank you ever so much for your time and patience

Neil

• JackE

Good luck! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ