Need Troubleshooting Assistance with Acer Aspire R3-131T-C1YF

MegaZeo
MegaZeo Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

In the process of resetting the PC (to sell to a coworker), the install intially got stuck in a loop at 63%. I eventually booted into recovery mode and tried to troubleshoot the reset, without success. I attempted another complete reset, and forgot to hook up the AC adapter, thus the laptop died mid-install. I encountered more of the same problems after. I've gone into Command Prompt and disabled the WLAN to keep the device away from my Wi-Fi, tried restoring to an earlier version, and attempted to set an Administrator Password during separate boot attempts -- none of these improved results. Now I'm trying to perform a clean install from a bootable USB, but now the laptop only boots to the Acer logo followed by a black screen, and the keyboard appears completely unresponsive to input. Is it still salvageable at this point? I' wouldn't be selling it for much, so if I need to buy extra tech then it won't be necessary to go any further.

Best Answer

Answers

• MegaZeo

Edit -- The device came with Windows 10 originally. No external devices were connected during any boot attempts apart from the AC adapter.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Press & hold the power button till the machines shuts off --- should be about 5 secs or so. Then follow this video to re-set the machine to a factory-fresh state.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuljT0a8F7I   Make sure the charger is plugged in this time. 8^) Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• MegaZeo

Thank you for the great tip! The device responded exactly as the video suggested it should (had to press F10 repeatedly for about 3 minutes, but it finally agreed to behave). Smiley Happy

• JackE

Congrats! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MegaZeo

Update: The normal reset paths (remove everything, keep my files, etc.) all failed with the message "There was a problem resetting this PC". I got a new Recovery screen with the error code 0xc000000f. I've gained access to the UEFI Firmware Settings and put USB HDD Flash drive first in the boot order, and now I'm able to proceed with the bootable USB install. Thank you again for your help getting to this point. Smiley Happy

• JackE

After it's up & running again, you might want to check and if needed mark the c:\ drive for bad areas. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ