My Aspire V7 582PG can't detect external monitors

rexe
rexe Member Posts: 2 New User

I recently bought an Aspire V7 582PG, put in a new SSD, and then installed Windows 8. The laptop works fine, except it can't detect external monitors (in Control Panel, I get "Didn't detect another display". I have tried with 2 monitors (different models) that are known to work, through both HDMI and VGA.

I thought it might be a driver issue. Device Manager > "Display adapters" shows "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and "NVidia GEForce GT 750M". Both drivers are up to date. "Monitors" shows "Generic PnP monitor", which is also up to date.

I then went to http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers to download the driver for my model. The only one that looked relevant was:

MonitorELANTECHHID Monitor Drivers1.1.5

Installer here: http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Monitor/Monitor_ELANTECH_1.1.5_W8x64_A.zip?acerid=635073212152158494&Step1=ULTRA-THIN&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20V7-582PG&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

But when I unzip and run it, the installer window closes within a few seconds; I think it crashes rather than installing properly.

Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

My Acer tabs need additional drivers to recognise the HDMI port.

I would suggest unzipping to a directory and then open a DOS box with admin rights and run the app inside that. At least if there is an error you should be able to see it. Sometimes just doubleclicking opens and closes a window so fast you do not see the error.

Also looking at the support for a V7 "ultrathin" I see several drivers for VGA, monitor, and the chipset. Any could be required for the video display to work.

Do you see multiple devices when you press Windows-P ?

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

My Acer tabs need additional drivers to recognise the HDMI port.

I would suggest unzipping to a directory and then open a DOS box with admin rights and run the app inside that. At least if there is an error you should be able to see it. Sometimes just doubleclicking opens and closes a window so fast you do not see the error.

Also looking at the support for a V7 "ultrathin" I see several drivers for VGA, monitor, and the chipset. Any could be required for the video display to work.

Do you see multiple devices when you press Windows-P ?

• rexe
    rexe Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you!!! It was the Intel VGA driver.

• bobski9933
    bobski9933 Member Posts: 5 New User

My Aspire S3-391 still doesn't detect external monitor, HDMI, latest Intel graphics HD 3000 driver, etc... Windows 7 Control Panel display doesn't detect monitor... HELP!!