Missing hdd bracket and SATA cable. Acer Aspire A715-71G-5186

Hemlis
Hemlis Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

I just bought a Aspire 715-71G-5186 from Sweden. It has a empty HDD bay but no sata cable or bracket.

Do i need to buy these parts myself?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Your 1st pix only shows how the machine would look with a separate 2nd HDD cable plugged into its soldered 2nd HDD mainboard connector. That is, the 2nd HDD cable, the 2nd HDD bracket and the 2nd HDD itself are not part of a factory-shipped machine. Accordingly, you should make sure that your vendor knows that you need a 2nd HDD kit for your A7 that would include any needed cable and adapter bracket. I earlier referred you to Crucial because it seems like a fairly knowledgable vendor in the sort of thing you're trying to do. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

The adapter bracket & cable are usually supplied with the HDD or SSD that you choose. Go to crucial dot com and search for upgrades for the A7 series.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Hemlis

So i need to buy from crusial to get it to work?
    They didn't have reguar mechanical hard drives, only SSDs.

In other laptops I could just put in any old hard drive.

• JackE

No, not just SSDs, you can install any 7 or 9.5mm laptop HDD. There are other vendors besides crucial but most folks opt for the SSD upgrades. Plain 7mm HDDs usually come with the adapter brackets if needed and double check with the vendor on any needed cable in a 2nd HDD kit. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Hemlis

I am getting confused here.

Why would i get the Acer specific cable that is missing in my laptop when i buy a hard drive?
    To be clear, the cable that is supposed to go from the motherboard of my LAPTOP to the hard drive bay is missing.

This is how it is supposed to lookThis is how it is supposed to lookAnd this is in my laptop, you can se the cable missing.And this is in my laptop, you can se the cable missing.

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Your 1st pix only shows how the machine would look with a separate 2nd HDD cable plugged into its soldered 2nd HDD mainboard connector. That is, the 2nd HDD cable, the 2nd HDD bracket and the 2nd HDD itself are not part of a factory-shipped machine. Accordingly, you should make sure that your vendor knows that you need a 2nd HDD kit for your A7 that would include any needed cable and adapter bracket. I earlier referred you to Crucial because it seems like a fairly knowledgable vendor in the sort of thing you're trying to do. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Hemlis

Ah ok, now i understand.

Thank you!

• YaldaNight
    YaldaNight Member Posts: 1 New User

How did you finally manage to fix this issue? My laptop does not have a bracket.

• JackE

YaldaNight---As mentioned above, you must tell the HDD vendor that the bracket & cable are needed to complete the installation as they are NOT included in a factory-delivered A7. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Hemlis
    I didn't. I couldn't find any vendor that sold the cable.
    They forgot to include the cable in the/some of the Helios 300 too (which seems to be practically the same computer), and they send the cable and HDD caddy to them for free, but only in America.
    The rest of us have to live with an incomplete laptop apparently..
  • thehornet
    thehornet Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hi!

I have a similar question, and I hope you will answer it.

I want to buy "Acer Aspire 7 A715-71G-524P NX.GP9EU.028" laptop. It is only with 256 GB SSD drive, wihtout HDD. I want to know, can I after equip it with HDD keeping the SSD too?
     In this post I read, that some models with SSD came without HDD barcklet and SATA cable. I am confused now... :'(
    Please help me!

Thank you!

• jony0321
    jony0321 Member Posts: 1 New User
     vendor that the bracket & cable are needed to complete the installation ..
  • thehornet

Tinkerer

vendor that the bracket & cable are needed to complete the installation
    Can I somwhere order bracket and cable? Is it hard connecting cable to the motherboard? Do you have some pictures, where can I connect the cable?
  • JackE
    You should be able to order the ribbon cable and bracket from any SSD or HDD vendor. The bracket is simply to stabilize a 7mm thick drive in a 9.5mm thick HDD bay. I've used anti-static foam instead of a bracket in some laptops. It's a relatively easy job. Click on the png links on the Sept 13th post from Hemlis for pictures of where the bay is located. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• thehornet

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    Hi JackE!

Thank you for advices!

I think the main problem (for me) is the lack of ribbon cable, and connecting it to the mainboard. The lack of bracket I will solve with anti-static foam (thank you once again for the advice!!!)

So, the ribbon cable... I need to buy only te ribbon cable, but where? I am not from the US, I am from Serbia and here the customer care is not on the top... :D In Aliexpress I find many ribbon cables for Acer laptops, but I dont know which is good for my future A17-71G laptop. Do I must find a specific ribbon cable for A715-71G, or all Acer laptops have same HDD ribbon cable? Does the ribbon cable have a specific ID?  I want to attach some pictures of finded ribbon cables from Aliexpress, but the forum does not allowed it. :'(

In Helmis's pictures I can only see the place (the empty hole), where I can install the HDD (and there is no HDD ribbon cable). Do you have picture where can I connect the ribbon cable on the main board?

Thank you for the answers!
  • JackE
    Zdravo 'thehornet' --- ACER HDD traka kablovski deo # 50.GP8N2.004. Takođe, ako želite koristiti nosač umesto pjene, deo # 33.GP8N2.002. Nisam mogla pronaći ni jedan od onih dijelova na Aliekpress-u, ali izgleda da su dostupni na drugim mestima. Možda postoje zamjenski brojevi. HDD konektor kablovske trake (HDD2) nalazi se odmah pored priključnice zvučnika (SPK1) na dnu matične ploče i treba ga označiti HDD2.

Hello 'thehornet'---ACER HDD ribbon cable part# 50.GP8N2.004. Also if you want to use the bracket instead of foam, part# 33.GP8N2.002. I couldn't find either of those part#s on Aliexpress but they seem to be available elsewhere. Perhaps there are substitute numbers. The HDD ribbon cable connector (HDD2) is right next to the speaker connector(SPK1) on the bottom  of the mainboard and should be labeled HDD2.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Nils_Sverker
    Nils_Sverker Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hemlis said:

I just bought a Aspire 715-71G-5186 from Sweden. It has a empty HDD bay but no sata cable or bracket.

Hi, how did this turn out? I am in the same situation.
  • EugeneT
    EugeneT Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hemlis said:

Hi, how did this turn out? I am in the same situation.
    Hi guys. I've accidentally bought two cables and two brackets instead of one, now have spare parts. If someone of you is in Sweden and still needs the cable, let me know. Don't have anything else but the cable and the bracket though, that is you'll still need the screws, but perhaps it's possible to find some replacement.
  • Kommodo
    Kommodo Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello, IM dealing with the same issue. I got an Acer Aspire ....54PN. Though I found on the MB where to place the cable, it would be really nice to know exactly which product works best. I´m worried that i.e lenght of the adapter cable is not long enough. EugeneT did you make it work and what sata adapater cable did you order?

• Kommodo
    Kommodo Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited July 2018
    Update: bought an acer hdd cable + hdd bracket. Now running 256ssd + 2TB hdd on my Acer :)
  • JackE
    Congrats @Kommodo on your success! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ