How to re-install a letter key onto the keypad of an aspire 5742 laptop.

Options
railfan
railfan Member Posts: 2 New User

A small notebook fell from a shelf onto the keyboard of my aspire 5742 laptop and knocked off one of the letter key pads (the letter D).  Pushing the key plunger still activates the letter (D) fine.  I can set the loose key pad onto the keyboard location and align it fairly well over the four metal prongs that stick up from the keyboard platform but of course the key pad no longer sticks. Is there some way to re-attach the key pad and of so how?

Thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>Is there some way to re-attach the key pad and of so how?>>>

Yes, with difficulty! 8^) I had the same thing happen to the F4 key.

You will note 2 teeter-totter like wires under the loose pad. The should be crossed in such a way that when pressed down with your finger, they pop back up when released.  If aligned correctly with tiny plastic clips molded into the backside of the keypad, the wires will snap back into the clips and secure the keypad --- a task easier said than done with normal size hands and fingers. I had to use needle-nose tweezers to keep or jiggle the wires around in place while pushing the keypad down. After multiple frustrating attempts,  the pad eventually snapped into place. I was almost ready to use double-sided tape --- which BTW you might consider doing if you get too frustrated.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• railfan
    railfan Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for the information.  Have not had a chance to try solution yet. (Actually I have now misplaced the key)  Did not notice the wires when I initially looked at the pad and button on keyboard so will revisit when I locate the key.

Thanks again,

railfan