DVD drive Aspire 704.

suemp
suemp Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I am trying to back up my data on this unfamiliar computer. I reach a stage (took 5 minutes, after several hours trying) to presumably put the iles on the DVD rewrite disk that I put in, but I don't see how to burn it? Am I mistaken? Is there a dvd burner on this thing? This is Windows 10. 

I have an external DVd rewite that I have had for years. Should I be installing this?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,465 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The DVD disc spec is DVD-RAM/±R/±RW. If the fresh disks you have now seem to write and read OK from the new SuperMulti, I'd first experiment trying to read them (not write on them) from another computer's DVD drive.

4gb memory sticks, about the same size as DVDs, now cost ~$1 on ebay with free shipping usually in a $10 10-pack. Amazon a bit more. 8GB sticks are typically less than ~$5. The prices will likely fall further in the next year or so like just about everything else in solid-state electronic (vs mechanical) storage. In fact, fewer and fewer laptops even have a mechanical drive anymore as standard equipment. So you can pretty much see where portable storage market is all heading these days.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

The drive should be 8x writeable. It may be having trouble reading the disk, which is NOT unusual. How old and what brand and what type are the disks? What was the factory-delivered Windows version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• suemp

Tinkerer

JackE

I am unfamiliar with the way this one works. It is a new computer and came with Window 10. I am thinking there is no drive in this thing, for writing my data, though it did delete what was there and reformat the disk (I read a comment here somewhere that said there was no diskdrive in their computer so wondered if that was the problem). I am not even sure anymore of the terms people use although I have been making copies of disks for many years. This particular disk is one I have copied over before, on a different computer, with no trouble. I have dragged the documents over into the disk drive, and it does something to them which takes about 5 minutes, but it is not burning them. But the titles of the cocuments I dragged over are there. o bytes.  This isn't about reading the disk. It is about copying my files into the disk. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I can find no instructions nor information on this drive, if there is one, although there is some kind of p[ower drive for watching movies. So I am wondering, do I have the means to copy my files onto a disk? Can you help?

• JackE

>>>This particular disk is one I have copied over before, on a different computer, with no trouble. I have dragged the documents over into the disk drive, and it does something to them which takes about 5 minutes, but it is not burning them>>>

I assume you mean that you put ***this particular disk***(a CD/DVD disk) into the new computer's CD/DVD drive tray. You then probably dragged this particular disk's documents over to --- and copied (burned) them on --- the new computer's hard disk drive (a HDD). The HDD is the main storage drive and physically hidden inside the computer case. All your programs, Windows 10 and yes, probably the documents you dragged onto it, are now on the HDD.

The challenge now is to find out what HDD folder the documents were dragged to. Once you determine that, you can drag them over and copy (burn) them on to another CD/DVD disk.

Does this sound anything like what you are trying to do? What kind of computer were you more familiar with in doing what you are trying to do on the new one?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• suemp

Tinkerer

This particular disk was blank. I had on it some of my files - my own data - things I had written. I need to update the disk so I deleted the contents, by inserting it into the compyter's disk drive. It then went through a process of reformatting, which seems to be a priority because I have now done it about 10 times in the last few days, and before that, only once in ten years. The dvd is fine - was fine - and probably still is.  I wanted to save my data, which I had put onto the new computer 3 months ago. But now I want to go in the other direction, from the computer's hard drive to the disk, so I can put it in the drawer and know I have a copy of the data no matter what. I don't seem to be able to do that.

I dragged the files over to the disk drive (not a method of transferring files that I am familiar with). But they got copied there, according to the titles that appeared under the Disk Drive title in the Acer computer listings. It took 5 minutes.  They weren't burned on to the disk. There are zero bytes in the files listed under Disk Drive Disk. I don't know what to do next. If something doesn't p[op up and say, Click to burn, or something similar, I am stuck. 

• JackE

>>>But now I want to go>>>from the computer's hard drive to the disk>>>I dragged the files over to the disk drive>>>they got copied there according to the titles that appeared under the Disk Drive title in the Acer computer listings. It took 5 minutes.  They weren't burned on to the disk. There are zero bytes in the files listed under Disk Drive Disk. I don't know what to do next. If something doesn't pop up and say, Click to burn, or something similar, I am stuck.>>>

OK. After the files have been dragged over to the CD/DVD disk (or copied & pasted --- same thing), try RIGHT CLICKING the mouse in the box with the titles in the Acer computer listings. A menu box that you've been searching for should finally pop up!!! Let us know if the right click pop up works for you. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• suemp

Tinkerer

Something has happened. Not good though. I had taken the dvd out of the drive after I last spoke with you. So after seeing your latest msg I put it back in the drive. Immediately I got a notice informing me there was an error with the drive (perhaps removed dvd too soon and that I must run it through the scan to fix it. So I did that.

Next, after formatting the dvd again, I dragged the files over to the drive. It started to do its thing but I soon got another msg saying:

"This DVD-ROM Drive is read only. You can copy files to this writable DVD, but you must insert it into a writable drive."

I had seen these msgs before but couldn't make any sense out of them. It was possible to click on "skip" and just go on to the next file, but I discovered no files were being copied any more onto the drive. I was just having to click skip, over and over. 

I don't know what that notice even means, about the writable drive. I am wondering now if it has something to do with the files that I have, many of which are from my last computer, that were saved by me and put onto this Windows 10. I saw that the new files I was saving had the suffix .xdoc instead of .doc. I have no trouble with the old documents. I can open them on the computer and make changes and save them. But I wonder if this could be a problem with the drive in this computer.

This has turned into something quite complicated. I don't know if you have had any experience with this sort of thing. But is there a different place on this Acer Computer site where I can seek help with this. I wouldn't expect you to know about this old computer document problem, if that is the problem. I appreciate your help, but if this is new to you, as it is to me, can you point me in the right direction for advice. This new computer is not under warranty. It was on sale and was past the warranty date. 

• JackE

>>>"This DVD-ROM Drive is read only. You can copy files to this writable DVD, but you must insert it into a writable drive.">>>

Just to be sure, is your new computer an ACER TC704 desktop? It's advertised as having a DVD writeable drive that supports DVD-RAM/±R/±RW writeable disks.  The message you got seems to indicate it is NOT a writeable drive. From whom did you purchase this machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• suemp

Tinkerer

Jack

It says on the sticker that it is an AXC-704 (not TC-704).

I can't understand this. I read somewhere that it is capable of showing movies, which may be all this can do. I am also surprised that there is no proper summary of what is included. 

If that is the problem, I can either try to install this Retial Plus USB 2.0 DVD+/-RW, which I used for another computer some time ago. I also have a USB memory stick but am unsure how to use it. I did put files onto it, but now I don't know how to delete them so I can update it from the files in my computer. Do you know anything about wither of these solutions.

I do regret buying this. From Staples. I thought I had someone who knew what he was doing when he sold it to me. Turns out he wasn't familiar with it at all.

• JackE

The AXC-704 is also advertised as having the DVD writeable drive. Please try this for me. Select just one file, any file, from from your computer using the Windows file Explorer. Right click on that file. Then click 'copy'. Then put a writeable DVD disk into the writeable DVD drive. Move your mouse over to the DVD disk. Right click on an empty space on the disk. Then click 'paste' and, if the option is available, click 'burn'. What happens?  

BTW, these days, the USB memory sticks are a much better, easier & faster way of storing data than a DVD disk. They're much smaller, store a lot more, and are more robust than a writeable DVD disk. I don't use writeable DVD disks any more because they really aren't that stable --- I have many that aren't readable any more even on the original writeable drive they were burned on! 

Jack E/NJ

PS: One more thing. Use a fresh "unburned" writeable DVD disk. A DVD disk that's been written to, burned and closed will  be read only. Meaning it can't be written to any more. You can only copy files from it, not cut from or paste new files to a burned and closed DVD disk. 

Jack E/NJ

• suemp

Tinkerer

Well first of all, I used a rewritable disc, to experiment, as you suggested. In fact, it had more data on it that I had from the old computer - files ending in .doc (not .xdoc). But I could add to the disc, more than likely, so I did that. I dragged one file over (also ending in .doc), and put it on the disc drive. And then I clicked on burn, in the menu. And it indicated it could do that. But within a minute it said, "There was an error burning this disc. The disc might no longer be usable."  That last part wasn't true. The disc is fine.

But one could assume the drive cannot burn .doc files.  I didn't want to try to burn another file, a .xdoc. It would be mixing two kinds of documents on the same disc, which is probably what caused the trouble before, when I asked for help. I had been adding .xdoc files to my original data (ending in .doc), and then tried to put them all onto a disk. And it wouldn't work. 

I am wondering what to make of this problem. When I got the computer I put my files onto it, no problem. But now they are getting mixed up with the new files. I wonder if this is a compatibility problem.

Do you know anything about this? I also put the files from my old computer (ending in .doc) onto a usb thing, but never did anything more with it because I didn't know of I should delete them all and then redo to save all my new data onto it (mixed files, .xdoc and .doc.  Does everyone in the world today use .xdoc files? 

• JackE

>>>"There was an error burning this disc. The disc might no longer be usable."  That last part wasn't true. The disc is fine.>>>

This is a common problem with writeable CD or DVD disks. And the main reason why I now avoid using them to store important data. A disk that reads & writes on one  DVD drive (especially if it's an older CD/DVD drive) may not work properly or at all on a newer DVD drive due to mechanical differences in the read & write heads among other things. This is a reason why I wanted you to try a brand new writeable disk that hadn't yet been "contaminated" on the older drive. In fact, if you do get a new disk to work on the newer computer's DVD drive, you may find the disk does NOT work on the older computer's DVD drive.

>>>But one could assume the drive cannot burn .doc files.  I didn't want to try to burn another file, a .xdoc. It would be mixing two kinds of documents on the same disc, which is probably what caused the trouble before>>>

No. This is merely a coincidence. This is NOT the root cause of your issues with the DVD read/write issues. Archiving mixed extension files on a DVD disk, a hard disk, a floppy disk, a USB drive, a tape drive or any other kind of storage medium should make absolutely NO difference.

>>>Do you know anything about this? >>>

Know? Not with 100% certainty. But I do have an opinion on what I think is the most likely cause for your issues. My opinion? You are still relying on a mechanical drive that uses removable hermetically unsealed/unprotected storage media to store your important data. Like floppy drives that use removable floppy disks --- or like tape drives that use removable tape cassettes --- CD/DVD drives that use removable CD/DVD disks will eventually become only optionally available on new computers. Why? Hermetically unsealed disks and cassettes are relatively unstable. There are now much better, faster, cheaper & more reliable ways of storing your important data than on a floppy disk, a tape cassette or a DVD disk.

That's my opinion. And I'm sticking to it. 8^)

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• suemp

Tinkerer

There was nothing wrong with that DVD-RW until I tried to re-burn it with data stored on the new computer (same data, new computer). I did it for several years, on the same DVDs.  So, by coincidence (no), the DVD I tried to use quit working. It is now ruined. It was not the DVD that was the problem. It is ACER.

Anyway, I used a brand new disc and copied a file onto it. I still get strange messages I am unfamiliar with. It did not burn file nto the disc. It just copied it. I was informed that I could copy this file onto another computer (not available to me). Presumably I could then edit it but I don't really know. What I could also do, because I did it, was to delete the copied file from the disc and put a different file onto it. It was not burned onto the disc. It is just there. This is imporant for me to know because I have used this method to send a files or two to someone and may still want to do so.

I realized I had no choice but to use the Lexar memory stick, which I used only once before, to put all my files onto before I closed down the old computer.  I deleted secions as required, and then added the updated sections from my new computer. I don't know if there is another way of doing this. It didn't come with instructions. But it worked and I have updated my files. But I do see I will have to buy another memory stick, so I can put my updated files onto it before deleting the old files.

Thanks for your advice, Jack. However, I see that one can have something around for years and it will work well, but when technology changes, one has to adapt or give up!

• JackE

>>>There was nothing wrong with that DVD-RW until I tried to re-burn it with data stored on the new computer (same data, new computer). >>>

Unfortunately, you have encountered another potential issue between older, slower writing mechanical DVD drives and newer faster writing DVD drives. It's usually not good practice to try to write to the same DVD disc using both slow & high speed drives unless the write speeds can be set to be about the same for both drives.This ***helps*** but does not guarantee that both drives will be able to read what's on the disk. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• suemp

Tinkerer

I don't know about the newer faster better DVD drives, but I do know this Lexar memory stick is slow to move files around. 

• JackE

The USB memory stick should be much faster than any DVD disk & drive. How old and how many GB is this Lexar stick? How did you format it? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• suemp

Tinkerer

I have no idea how or if I formatted the Lexar. I would have followed the directions to do so, if I had formatted it. I bought it 4 months ago - 64GB. I may have used it to copy the files off the old computer. I don't recall. I do recall it was slow. That was probably the problem. I may replace all the files with those on the new ACER now.

The greater problem is whether the file I copied on to the disc is actually there and can be copied onto another computer.  Just because my new computer says it is so doesn't mean it is. I need to be able to send the odd file or so to other people, by mail not email, in the cheapest way possible.

• JackE

>>>The greater problem is whether the file I copied on to the disc is actually there and can be copied onto another computer.  Just because my new computer says it is so doesn't mean it is. I need to be able to send the odd file or so to other people, by mail not email, in the cheapest way possible.>>>

I understand. Your chances of being able to do this are probably better (but not guaranteed) if all the writing to one disk is done on the same DVD drive, not on multiple drives. However, this also means you might run into more read issues on this one disk if it is left open for editing by other people and then snailmailed back and forth for more editing.  

As for the slow 64GB stick, it was likely either due to copying a bunch of data directly off the old hard drive (64GB is pretty big) or even worse trying to copy it directly from a DVD disk.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• suemp

Tinkerer

I am using only one disc drive now, the Acer AVC DVD-Super Multi drive, as it is described. And of course, it can burn discs, just not the kind I am using. So what kind can it burn, or does it just burn movies - a particular kind of file?

You're right. I wouldn't want to send a file that can be altered by the reader, or deleted. I don't want to have to keep experimenting with different discs, and I don't even know if they are available to buy. I haven't looked into this, or the cost of memory sticks, but I may have to.

I think the first time I used the 64gb memory stick it was for saving my old files before giving up the old computer - just as a backup for the same data I saved on the DVD rewritable disks. Looking forward now, to being able to back up successfully although I will still have a lot of .doc files around as well as the newer ones. 

• JackE
    Answer ✓

The DVD disc spec is DVD-RAM/±R/±RW. If the fresh disks you have now seem to write and read OK from the new SuperMulti, I'd first experiment trying to read them (not write on them) from another computer's DVD drive.

4gb memory sticks, about the same size as DVDs, now cost ~$1 on ebay with free shipping usually in a $10 10-pack. Amazon a bit more. 8GB sticks are typically less than ~$5. The prices will likely fall further in the next year or so like just about everything else in solid-state electronic (vs mechanical) storage. In fact, fewer and fewer laptops even have a mechanical drive anymore as standard equipment. So you can pretty much see where portable storage market is all heading these days.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• suemp

Tinkerer

I cannot find where to ask for help, except to send a message to certain recipients. I just want to know first of all, how to send a post.

And I want to ask how to get rid of "Pictures" this app of whatever it is that is screwing with my pics.