Computer randomly shuts down

BWBarefoot
BWBarefoot Member Posts: 2 New User

I have a problem related to this.  My computer will power on, but occasionally it will randomly shut down.  The screen goes black, but the power light stays on for about 15 seconds.  Then the light goes out.  I can turn the button back on, but Windows then asks me to verify my identity before I can continue (as the power failure somehow affects the operating system).

On a related note, the battery overheats just before shutdown occurs.

When I contacted Acer for this issue a week ago, the administrator gave me a fix involving the reset of a battery.  Unfortunately, I did not write down the instructions and tried to do it by memory.  Obviously, that memory failed me.

If someone in the community knows the instructions, please post them here.  I promise to make it so I have it handy.  Thank you.

[subject line edited to reflect new topic]

Answers

• You didn't post your model number so,

If the battery is removable, unplug and remove battery, hold power button down for 30 seconds.

Plug in and start without battery.

Builtin battery

Unplug and find the tiny hole in the bottom, with a paperclip, gently press into the hole until you feel a click and hold for 5 seconds. Plug in and boot.

It wouldn't hurt to open a command prompt as Administrator and type sfc /scannow.

When down, type chkdsk /f and when it asks to rebot, type y

reboot.

These should find and fix any corruption in the system.