Clean Install Vista Home Premium with SP2 on my Acer Aspire 7520...Windows Update doesn't work?

VistaHelp
VistaHelp Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi

I have just performed a clean install of Windows Vista Home Premium with Sp2 included. I have no problems activating my product key or validating through IE 9 either. Only issue is Windows Update not working. The only update I get is the latest Windows Update Agent for Vista which I have installed. Windows update stays on 'Checking for Updates...'. I get no error messages. I have left it for over 3hrs checking for updates with no joy.

I have contacted Microsoft and spent the last 4 days with a Level 2 Technician. He tried the Intel driver fix, Tweaking/Resetting/Repairing permissions etc using tweaking.com_windows_aio_setup.exe and also got me to do an upgrade install with no joy.

He told me my options are to contact Acer for Recovery Discs or purchase Windows 7. I do not wish to purchase recovery discs or windows 7. I have wiped the drive (PQService gone) and just want a clean install.

Can anyone offer some help/advice on how to fix this issue.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

The SUR tool, for me, works a lot faster than 4 hrs. I just ran it last night on a factory restore of Windows 7 and it finished within an hour. It's your call.

Answers

• philetus

Download and run the System Update readiness tool and run it.

It will take a while and you might think it froze, but let it go.

After a while it will find a update, install it and it will run some more and find another update.

When you install that it should be done.

Reboot and run Windows Update.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1540

• VistaHelp

Thanks for your response philetus.

After reading another post somewhere (i can't remember where), someone else had the same problem and was advised to leave it overnight checking for updates. I left if for over 6hrs and after checking the WindowsUpdate.log, the updates appeared after 4 hrs 15 mins.

I haven't installed them yet as after 4 days with Microsoft Tech installing 'this and everything else', I thought I would do another clean install. I'm not sure whether to run the System Update readiness tool first or just repeat leaving the laptop on for over 4 hrs.

What do you think? Does it matter?

Thanks again.

• philetus

If you're going to do a clean install, you will have to run the tool again anyway.

• VistaHelp

I didn't actually run the System Update Readiness Tool. It detected the updates after 4 hrs 15 mins. without it. (This was before reading your response to try the SUR Tool.) As I am going to do another clean install, I was just wondering if I should run the SUR Tool first or just leave the laptop searching for the 4 hrs 15 mins.

What do you think? Does it matter?

Just wanted a second opinion before clean install for the 4th time.

Thanks.

• philetus
    Answer ✓

The SUR tool, for me, works a lot faster than 4 hrs. I just ran it last night on a factory restore of Windows 7 and it finished within an hour. It's your call.

• VistaHelp

Thanks for the advice, philetus.