Can't install W10 on a new SSD on ASPIRE 5750G

Octa
Octa Member Posts: 14 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello! I have spent days now trying to install Windows 10 on a new SSD on my Acer Aspire 5750G. All the answers and tutorials on youtube were no use.

I have tried this method:

Method 1:

1. Click the Start Start menu and select Settings.
  2. Select Update and Security.
  3. Click Recovery.
  4. Under Advanced startup, click Restart now. The system will restart and show the Windows 10 boot menu.
  5. Select Troubleshoot.
  6. Choose Advanced options.
  7. Select UEFI Firmware Settings.
  8. Click Restart to restart the system and enter UEFI (BIOS).

The problem is that my UEFI is different than what I saw in all other tutorials and answers. If others can enter UEFI and set the boot media, well I can't. I go into Recovery, Advanced Startup->Restart Now, then Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, then the screen below appears, and here is the problem. I should have like in the first image (in the right-middle the option): "UEFI  Firmware Settings" but I have instead "Startup Settings":image

My screen with "Startup Settings" :image

When I press "Startup Setting" it shows me this screen:image

Then this which is in Italian, because I bought  my computer in Italy:

1) Enable debug

2) Enable registration start 

3) Enable video at low resolution

4) Enable Safe Mode

5) E. Safe Mode with Network

6) E. Safe Mode with Command Prompt

7) Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

8) Disable Anti-malware Protection and Early Launch

9) Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure 

Press F10 for other options

Press Enter to go back to the Operating System

Pressing F10 it shows me a screen with this:

"Startup Settings

Press a number to select an option:

1) Start Recovery Environment

Press F10 to see other options

Press Enter to go back to the Operating System"

- I mention here that when I press F10 in this screen it takes me back to the previous one.

I also try to do it this way, but without being able to set DVD as bootable device- so maybe that's why doesn't work, because as I have explained I can't access UEFI or BIOS:

I put the SSD in my computer in the place of my old HDD and then start the computer, it tells me to introduce the boot disk and press any key. I put the ISO DVD in the DVD Reader, and gives me the error:

"No bootable device", it also tells me: "Media test failure, check cable". The DVD Reader works fine. I did a test just before installing the SSD in the computer and after taking it out and putting back the old HDD.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

At this point, I don't advise try any more-agressive measures to enter the BIOS menu because they all risk disabling the chip, thus bricking the machine so it won't boot at all even with the old HDD.

First, what is the model & capacity of the SSD you're trying to install Win10? Do you have a Win10 installation DVD or just the Win10 iso that you used the MS USB-DVD tool to make the installation USB? Jack E/NJ

Important PS: You usually can only install an upgrade Windows installation on a HDD or SSD with the immediately preceding Windows version already installed. Otherwise, you must have the full Windows installation media for a blank HDD or SSD.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• Octa

In case you wonder, I also tried this method in all it's variants that I could find on youtube, even that one when you continually press F2 or DEL before pressing START, does not work:

Method 2:

1. Press and hold the Power Button for 5 seconds to turn your computer completely off.
    2. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DELkey if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.

• JackE

>>>The problem is that my UEFI is different >>>

That's because your machine does NOT have a UEFI bios. As far as entering your older legacy BIOS menu, you can start tapping the F2 key to enter the menu even before you turn the machine on. If that doesn't work, there might be a keyboard issue. In that case, you might try to press and hold random keys as the machine is turned on. That should produce a keyboard error and force the machine to enter the menu. Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• Octa

Hi JackE, thanks for answering. I already tried what you have described, but unfortunately does not work. I don't think that it is a keyboard issue, because when I press F2 and then press Start, I get a loud beep as soon as the computer kicks in. It beeps a while even after taking my finger from the key (or keys, because I tried all of them). When it stops beeping it resumes the Windows loading, because the loading ring sign appears in the lower side of the screen. I get no error screen, even if pressing all keys.

• JackE

>>>I get a loud beep as soon as the computer kicks in. It beeps a while even after taking my finger from the key (or keys,>>>

OK. That's a BIOS beep error code. Do another cold boot without touching the keyboard. Note the beep or beep sequences before Windows starts to load. For example, one loud long beep only. Or perhaps a long beep followed by a short beep. Or something similar almost like a morse code. We can look up the code and find out which of the basic input or output devices is likely giving a problem. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• Octa

When doing a boot without touching any key it makes no sound and it starts loading W10 normaly. I must also mention to you that I use right now the same computer, only that I have my old HDD mounted on it with Windows 10 as OS. 

• JackE

>>>When doing a boot without touching any key it makes no sound and it starts loading W10 normaly.>>>

So does this mean you're booting Win10 from the old HDD with the SSD also connected at the same time? And you're also trying to install Win10 on the SSD at the same time the old HDD is also connected? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Octa

No, I do not have them installed on the same time on my computer. At  this moment I have the initial HDD installed on my computer- not the SSD. For the moment I only try to enter into BIOS from my initial HDD. If I find a way to enter BIOS then the rest is pice of cake, or at least that is what I hope. 

And if I put the SSD in the place of the HDD, I get the same beeps when I try to enter BIOS, I didn't saw any difference of behaviour.

• JackE

>>>At  this moment I have the initial HDD installed on my computer- not the SSD. For the moment I only try to enter into BIOS from my initial HDD.>>>

If you cannot F2 into the BIOS menu with the original HDD and no SSD installed, and the keyboard acts normally when in Windows, then there seems to a BIOS chip or firmware issue. Is the BIOS firmware still original? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Octa

At first I tried to enter into BIOS with the BIOS that was installed on my computer, it didn't work. Than I updated the BIOS from the manufacturer site and also didn't work. And they behave in the same way, that is they produce the same beep when pressing the keys (F2, DEL, and all the other ones).

• JackE

Two questions. (1) Is there any response, other than a beep, to tapping the F8 key or F12 key at the ACER logo screen? (2) Which BIOS firmware version did you try and was it done from the Windows environment? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

To try and re-inforce all the excellent help Jack has so far offered...

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/3475?b=1

BIOS looks like this:- 2012/11/13 Version: 1.21 Vendor: Acer Size: 5.4 MB

and was this what you tried?

There are 2 updates to drivers that may help... SATA AHCI Driver

2012/10/18 Version:  11.5.0.1207 Vendor: Intel Size:11.8 MB

and - Chipset Driver  - Date:2012/10/18 Version:9.3.0.1021 Vendor: Intel  Size: 2.9 MB.

It seems that there is no EFI option, only legacy MBR. 

I am bothered by the DVD.  You say you cannot set it as a bootable device.  If it boots then you don't have to.  If it does not boot then is it an ISO image?

• Octa

From Acer Updated:

- BIOS 1.21

- Sata AHCI 11.5.0.1207 

- Cipset Driver 10.0.14393.0 wich is better than 9.3.0.1021. But I try to install a even later version 10.1.1.14  and it tells me that it could not install some files, so I was left with 10.0.14393.0- sorry I have edited to correct the versions, it was version 10.0. installed and  version 10.1. that I could not complete installing.

DVD is ISO image from Windows Media Creation Tool.

• Octa

BIOS is Version 1.21 from Windows 10 environment. There is no other response beside the one I described.

• JackE

OK. We need to test a special boot section of the BIOS chip. Power off the machine. Unplug the charger's plug. Insert a formatted USB stick with an activity LED. Press & hold the Fn+Esc keys while re-inserting the charger's plug. Do ***both*** the power button LED and USB stick LED show any activity at all? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

OK

Forget all that has gone before.

Does your Windows 10 DVD boot?    YES / NO

If YES, do you get this far?  YES / NO

If so the next screen is to Create a partition and Format it.

######

If NO, does it have a file structure vaguely similar to this...?

• Octa

Until now I buyed a SanDisk 128GB microSD- wanted to use it to install Windows 10 from it. Didn't work and I thought is because my computer can't boot from it. Ok. I then buyed a SanDisk CruizerBlade USB stick (unfortunately doesn't have an activity led)- also didn't work. I thought, man, do I really have to use that old thing in my computer called a CD/DVD reader/writer? OK. Buyed a pack of 10 DVDs. Didn't work. 

Do you really-really think is worth buying this USB stick with activity led? Because I spent a lot af money until now with no use. If you really think so, then I will do it.

Thanks.

• Octa

DoughJohn, I must first enter BIOS to set booting from DVD, and the problem is I can't enter BIOS.

• JackE

>>>Do you really-really think is worth buying this USB stick with activity led? Because I spent a lot af money until now with no use. If you really think so, then I will do it.>>>

Then just use a formatted USB stick you that have with Fn+Esc method while plugging in the charger plug. Does the power button LED show any activity at all when you do this? This is part of testing the special BIOS boot section. If there is no power button LED activity, I'm guessing the BIOS chip's boot section has likely failed or been corrupted and won't respond to any keyboard input. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Octa

Unplug power.

Shut down.

Press & Hold Fn+Esc.

W10 Installation USB stick plugged.

Plug power cable.

No power LED flash.

I forgot to mention but I guess is no need for an USB stick with activity LED.

The computer's Optical Disc Drive has an activity LED, and I presume is the same thing as having a USB stick with activity LED. 

So I put Installation disc in Optical Disc Drive, press Fn+Esc and plug power cable: no LED flash.

I do not know if this has any relevance, but after trying both methods, when I Start the computer again, my computer would not load Windows. When I press Start, the led from the Optical Disc Drive flashes once ( at the same time when I press Power button), and starts spinning, and the screen starts working, but is a black screen. Because it does not load Windows, I had to take the battery out, and then restart.

• JackE
    Answer ✓

At this point, I don't advise try any more-agressive measures to enter the BIOS menu because they all risk disabling the chip, thus bricking the machine so it won't boot at all even with the old HDD.

First, what is the model & capacity of the SSD you're trying to install Win10? Do you have a Win10 installation DVD or just the Win10 iso that you used the MS USB-DVD tool to make the installation USB? Jack E/NJ

Important PS: You usually can only install an upgrade Windows installation on a HDD or SSD with the immediately preceding Windows version already installed. Otherwise, you must have the full Windows installation media for a blank HDD or SSD.

Jack E/NJ