Can Acer's BIOS exe files be extracted to .fd?

sortapundit
sortapundit Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives
Hi.

I'm trying to reflash my BIOS from a USB stick to save a dead Aspire V5-122P. All the advice I've found says I should extract the BIOS files found on the Acer website and load the resulting .fd file onto a USB.

However, as my laptop is dead I have only a borrowed MacBook to work with, and none of my efforts to unzip the .exe file to its constituent parts have been successful. Can anyone confirm that the BIOS files available for the V5-122P can be extracted, and if not tell me if there's any other way to find the correct files to reflash the BIOS? I'm getting pretty desperate and unhappy here Smiley Sad

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

try with this application:

http://7zx.updatestar.com/

unpack the SOBI0212.exe, then unpack v212s.exe and you will find the xxxxx.FD file

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Saj
    Saj Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi, I'm trying to downgrade the bios of my Aspire V5-573G. But the bios that I downloaded from Acer website doesn't have .fd file. Any other options?

• musicrab
    musicrab Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

On same subject my P253 has died after 2.5 years.  Symptom is screen flashes briefly at powerup and dvd drive makes a noise but nothing else happens.  Could this be a bios failure?   If so,  how can I get the .fd from  Q5WV1221.exe  ?  Cheers.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

you need to run the exe file (windows version, since it's the only i tried) on another PC and let unpack the files, don't start the flash process or close any error window but browse here:
    C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\xxxxxxxx.tmp - or if you prefer (windows logo key + r then type %temp% )
    the folder name changes from system to system, so you need to find it (hint: search by date) and copy the whole folder to desktop, inside you will find the *.FD or *.bin file (that's the raw BIOS).

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • musicrab

Tinkerer

IronFly wrote:

... inside you will find the *.FD or *.bin file (that's the raw BIOS).

Thanks - just tried it - nothing (just the HD light flashing -as before, without HD installed).  Ebay here we come...

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,475 Trailblazer

Before you mess any further with the firmware, have you tried to HDMI out to a TV? Might have to turn the TV screen on with the Fn+F5 and/or Fn+F6 toggle key combos. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• musicrab

Tinkerer

JackE wrote:

Before you mess any further with the firmware, have you tried to HDMI out to a TV? Might have to turn the TV screen on with the Fn+F5 and/or Fn+F6 toggle key combos. Jack E/NJ

Tried with an external monitor and normally, you'd see the BIOS, without Fn+F5/F6.  I'll try again.