Let's Get Social!

Ask our members for help or assist others.
You are all welcome at Acer Community!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery not detected Aspire 3820

SOLVED
Highlighted
Troubleshooter

"Battery not detected" using new battery. I have tried several brands of new batteries but none are detected. The old battery is worn out and only holds 40 minutes and the "battery power level meter" is not measuring the old one properly. For the new batteries I have tried all fixes I know: depleting, restarting, plugging in and out, uninstalling and re-installing "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery. Also tried to reach BIOS and such settings, but after updating to Win10 two years ago there is no way to override Windows using F2, F3 or F8 or what ever keys. Smiley Sad

Any ideas? Much appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ACE Pathfinder

Re: Battery not detected Aspire 3820

You said earlier>>>I've replaced the battery once before, a few years ago. That was also failing until I had to go back to Acer and make sure to buy an exact copy of the original battery (Double the price).>>>You could not expect to connect that to the change of battery, but it did not stop until I got the exact original Acer battery.>>>

I think we have 2 issues, either or both of which ***might*** be responsible. (1) Win10 is NOT fully backward-compatible with your mainboard's chipset. Not unusual for older laptops. (2) The old & new embedded battery controllers are different. Not unusual either.

So we seem to be forced to try two undesirable things because neither is a guaranteed fix. (1) Re-set your 3820 to a factory-fresh Win7 state. (2) Keep Win10 and continue to look for an exact battery replacement.

Jack E/NJ

21 REPLIES
ACE Pathfinder

>>>"Battery not detected" using new battery. >>>The old battery is worn out and only holds 40 minutes and the "battery power level meter" is not measuring the old one properly.>>>

When you now plug in the old battery again, do you still get "battery not detected" error like with the new batteries? Jack E/NJ  

Troubleshooter

The old battery shows up, charges and works as "normally". Still being worn out of course and the meter is not measuring properly. It is like the old battery have "trained" the computer to measure the old battery's slowly failing capacity so well that now the computer can't detect the properties of new batteries.

Thanks a lot for trying to help! Kind regards Tomas

ACE Pathfinder

>>>The old battery shows up, charges and works as "normally".>>>It is like the old battery have "trained" the computer>>>

Heh-heh. That's certainly a creative diagnosis! 8^).

The part number for a new battery should be BT.00607.128. Price should be about $20 USD.

If necessary, you can try to calibrate a new battery by googling "calibrate battery" "windows 7" "acer" with the quotes.

Jack E/NJ

Troubleshooter

Thanks for the advice. I'm in Sweden so I've been hesitant to buy this tricky item from abroad since there usually is no money-back or return shipping possible. It will be lost money. But now I've tried three different brands that does not work, and I think all retailers source from the same places regardless of where I am, incl UK. Most of them run affiliate programs on top of someone else's core. I need to do some trick with the computer to make this work, there is probably nothing wrong with the batteries. I'm on Win10 but I suppose there is some battery calibrating function there too. But what is most annoying is that with Win10 I can no longer access the "Acer core system" using F2 (F3?). Windows takes command from the start and boots up all the way. I can't stop it to reach the lower level battery control settings.

ACE Pathfinder

>>>But what is most annoying is that with Win10 I can no longer access the "Acer core system" using F2 (F3?). >>>

That should not be the case. You must first press and hold the power button for about 5 secs till the machine completely shuts off power. Then press the power button again one time to re-start the machine. Then immediately start tapping the F2 key even before the ACER logo screen appears. The BIOS menu ("ACER core system") should appear. Jack E/NJ

Troubleshooter

Thanks, that worked. However, I expected to find some battery settings in there, but there are none.
ACE Pathfinder

That would not be in the BIOS menu.

But try this. Open Device Manager. Click on battery. Then uninstall the MS battery control driver. Then shutdown Windows normally. Make sure the power is completely off again. Then install the new battery. Press the power button one time to re-start the machine. Allow Windows to automatically re-detect the battery and re-install the missing driver. Report back.  Jack E/NJ

Troubleshooter

No luck. But there are two battery drivers. The "Microsoft ACPI-compliant Control Method Battery" I've tried to mess with several times over the past week, since it is a common advice found on internet. But the other driver is named "Microsoft AC Adapter", and since no one ever has mentioned that one I have not dared touching it. Should I uninstall both at the same time, and restart etc?

Thanks for helping me! /Tomas

(PS. I've replaced the battery once before, a few years ago. That was also failing until I had to go back to Acer and make sure to buy an exact copy of the original battery (Double the price). But now its been discontinued by Acer, so I have to find another maker. At that replacement the battery bugged in another way making the laptop behave in mysterious ways. You could not expect to connect that to the change of battery, but it did not stop until I got the exact original Acer battery.)

ACE Pathfinder

>>>Should I uninstall both at the same time, and restart etc?>>>

No harm in trying to uninstall both, cold re-boot and let Windows do its thing. They're only driver software. But you first might want to try letting Windows search for the best drivers for both while connected if you haven't tried to do so already. If Windows says the best driver is already installed, then try uninstalling them both to see what happens. BTW, the original battery with the ACER part# was made by Panasonic.

>>>I've replaced the battery once before, a few years ago.>>>

Was that under Win7?

Jack E/NJ

New Here?

New to Acer Community?

Register to get all the benefits of being a member! Get social and introduce yourself in our Welcome Forum, or learn about our ACE Program and What's Happening at Acer.

Assistance by Acer
Member Highlight

We would like to highlight a user that joined the Community just 3 months ago and in that short amount of time has already authored more than 25 solutions and ranked up to Valued Contributor. Congratulations Flx, keep up the good work!

Total Posts Written: 345
Total Kudos Received: 78
Solutions Accepted: 26

Flx
Valued Contributor Flx

Valued Contributor